Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell XPS gen 2 cooling fans loud and noisy

• Please log in to reply

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My power supply cooling fans are annoyingly loud. This has been a problem for years but I'm in a quieter environment now and it is too much. The processor fans seem to be ok, but, I am going to replace the old heat sink compound between the processor and heat sink anyway. I would like to replace the power supply fans with quieter models. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand I should look for, do they fit, where to look? I can get exact replacements from Dell suppliers, but they will be just as loud. Perhaps there is a whole power supply that is compatible and will fit nicely?

I am attaching a report from Everest Diagnostics in html format just in case you are curious about the temps. These are normal for morning and only slightly higher in the afternoon.

Attached Files

Edited by Grondsrevenge, 23 June 2009 - 02:28 PM.

Advertisements

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. There was a wad of lint and dust blocking a vent.
Problem solved.