Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 4720z KSoD

• Please log in to reply

wilson zhu

wilson zhu

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a BSoD problem on my girlfriend's laptop. All I could get was Stop 0x024 0x00190445, 0x859C8008, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000. Please help!

Edited by wilson zhu, 26 June 2009 - 01:14 AM.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :) Welcome to GeeksToGo!

That problem points to there being an error on the Harddrive. Do you have a Windows CD you can use to run a chkdsk /r on the harddrive?

wilson zhu

wilson zhu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for the welcome. Sadly I do not have a CD because it's my girlfriend's laptop and my desktop didn't come with a CD.

Edited by wilson zhu, 21 June 2009 - 03:12 AM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Well then you have these options:

1. Download and burn a diagnostics CD such as UBCD at ultimatebootcd.com and run a Harware Diagnostics and Repair Tool.

2. Take it in to the shop where they will have a Windows CD they will use to repair it.

3. Take the harddrive out and plug in into another computer that has a working OS to run diagnostics on it and make a backup of the data.

4. Buy a new harddrive and/or reinstall Windows.

Edited by NeonFx, 20 June 2009 - 04:22 PM.

wilson zhu

wilson zhu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Delete post please!

Edited by wilson zhu, 21 June 2009 - 03:10 AM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
So you do have the CD?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Can you get into Windows?
If so, go to Start and type in "cmd" (without the quotes)
Right click on the CMD.EXE that appears at the top of the search box and select "Run as administrator"
Then, in the black window that opens, type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter
It'll tell you that it can't do it right now, and will ask if you want to schedule it for the next reboot.
Answer Y (for yes) and press Enter.
Reboot the system.

Also, if you can get into the Safe Mode screen there may be an option to Repair your computer there - if so, select it and let it run the tests.

wilson zhu

wilson zhu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
To the above post, I can not get into Windows without getting a BSoD in the process. I will burn the CD and try tomorrow because I do not have any blank CDs with me right now.

wilson zhu

wilson zhu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi again. I have the CD burnt and it's int he CD drive of the laptop but i apparently don't know how to use it.

EDIT: I've looked around online and now i'm running 'chkdsk c: /f'

Edited by wilson zhu, 25 June 2009 - 10:56 PM.

wilson zhu

wilson zhu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Alright I've gotten past the BSofD but now the screen is just black and my cursor shows but nothing else.

Advertisements

wilson zhu

wilson zhu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm now stuck with a KSoD ):

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
What is a KSoD? Is this the black screen error?
Try running chkdsk /r

If still having problems, can you boot successfully into Safe Mode?

Edited by usasma, 26 June 2009 - 05:11 PM.

wilson zhu

wilson zhu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah, it's the black screen error. I ran chkdsk /r but it says that I'd have to reboot and when I do nothing happens. Safe mode does not work. Also, I do not have any restore points.

Edited by wilson zhu, 26 June 2009 - 06:23 PM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The most common reasons for black screen errors in XP were either video drivers or hard drive issues.
These reasons are still valid for Vista, but there are other things that can cause it.

So, IMO, the next step would be to run a bootable hard drive diagnostic. Instructions here: http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

If that passes, then we're looking at some registry "diving". Are you familiar and comfortable with editing the registry (and do you know how to back it up?)? I've done a bit of research on these problems and have found a suggestion or two that may help.

BTW - have you visited the Malware forum to get a scan of the system? Malware can cause this to happen also. Here's a link to it: http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

wilson zhu

wilson zhu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi. Sorry I haven't really been working on the laptop but to keep you updated, I'll be running a bootable hard drive diagnostic. Thanks!