Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password change on computer

• Please log in to reply

Barbie4739

Barbie4739

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK - I've tried everything - I'm not computer illiterate, but by no means even close to an expert!! And I'm about to run over my computer! lol I lost my job in November and someone gave me a used computer - it was on a network at my employment and has a "network" password on it - the gentleman that gave it to me can not remember the information (user name & pword) - nothing I do can get me past it or be able to bypass it and change or remove it - This computer is apparently dying a slow, agonizing death and I need to be able to haunt all the job sites, answer newspaper ads with resume - Can someone please tell me what to do? I would love to buy a new one, but not in the budget at this point - need to find a job first!!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

As we do not assist with hacking or cracking security measures all I can suggest is that you go out and purchase your own copy of XP.

Use that to format and re-install XP.

Murray

Barbie4739

Barbie4739

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, the XP is this computer - I don't kmow the operating system of the one given to me - we were all on the same network, but each computer had its own programs if that makes any sense - we had a login to the network, but each computer had its own designation on the server - we could not go into each others "space" unless we had the required user name and password - the only person thatknew everyone's info was the IT guy - Like no one could read anything that was on my computer there unless I gave them my network password and user name - Also I don't know that I could even reinstall the operating system - when I turn it on it automatically comes up with the network sign in page - it doesn't let me do anything at all with the computer itself -

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That is a typical networked system. You can install any opereating system that computer can handle if you choose.

You would need to boot into BIOS (setup) to have the system boot to the cd drive first. From there, the auto-installer would take over.

Everything on the harddrive would be erased and you would start on a clean slate.

If you can't do it, try your local computer store or have a friend help out.

Murray