Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics card issue

• Please log in to reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Graphics card issue; could this be a software issue or do you think it's somewhere in the hardware?

OK, Im having graphics, display or monitor issues and Im not sure what to do next. This system was just custom built for me this past Feb. so anything wrong can and will be fixed. We are having a hard time finding the problem, so I figured Id ask here. The problem is that sometimes images, icons and graphics are replaced by this funny looking color pattern. I dont really know how to explain. At first I noticed it happening to icons or graphics within programs like Microsoft Word 2007. Then it started replacing my desktop image with the same color pattern, but not the desktop icons. My first thought was that there is something wrong with the graphics card which I have not been able to rule out at this point. I also noticed that this color graphics pattern would show up when the system would get warm, so I thought maybe it was the power supply. So I upgraded from a 300 watt to a 500 watt power supply but Im still having the same issue. I have also noticed that if the pc is left on overnight, in sleep/standby mode, it will happen sometime later the next day, like that night. Im thinking it could be the graphics card overheating. Or maybe theres something else wrong with the graphics card. I also think maybe it could be a software issue which I have no idea where to start with finding and fixing that problem. Anyway, I know this is a lot to read, but if anybody has any ideas that could be helpful, Id love to hear them. Thanks.

Update: We replaced the graphics card with a new upgrade to the one that was in here, but the problem has not stopped. The old card was Radeon HD 4350 and we just upgraded to the Radeon HD 4650. I have also noticed that images load slow compared to what they use to. Any idea's?

I included an image of what it does when it replaces my desktop image. I hope you can see it.

System info:

OS Windows XP 32 bit system with service pack 3
AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-core 2.4Ghz processor
3.25 GB of RAM (from 2, 2GB cards)
ASUS M3A78 Motherboard
ATi Radeon HD 4650 Graphics card 512 MB
Realtek Ethernet
Seagate 500 GB hard drive
VIA High Definition Audio VT1708B
500 Watt power supply
LG Flatron 22 LCD monitor
Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse and Keyboard
LG Multi DVD ROM drive

Programs most used;

Photoshop CS3
Microsoft Word 2007
Mozilla Firefox
Windows Media Player 11
AVG 8.5

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled_1__Large_.jpg

Advertisements

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I can't believe that this thread has had 23 views and not one person has any ideas for me. Well, some geeks y'all are. I guess if it's not some sort of virus or malware or spyware then you geeks just don't know. Well, thanks for nothing.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go

I'm sorry you have not had any assistance as of yet...

Just because you have a large amount of views doesn't mean they were one of the Techs on the site...

They could have just been regular users perusing the site...

Please down load Everest HERE

Once installed start the program...

On the menu tabs at the top please click on report

Scroll down to quick report all pages, and select plain text...

Copy and paste the report except for everything below "Debug PC" FYI it is very close to the bottom...

This report will better help us help you...

Good luck

Cbarnard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try taking GPU out and reseating it.
Try taking out memory from MOBO and reseating it.
It could be a GPU memory issue

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks Cbarnard and rshaffer61. I didn't mean to have an attitude. I'm just at my wits end here and I just really don't know what to do. And yes, this issue is driving me crazy. Good thing that's a short drive! Ha! Anyway, I'll do those things soon and then post the info as you have suguested. Thanks again to both of you.

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
OK, here's the report. I sure do hope it can help tell why this is happening. Also, now, ever time you wake the system from standby mode, my desktop image is always replaced with that same funny looking artifact pattern. I will be grateful for any help anybody can give. Thanks.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer OWNER-58DEF8456 (Newsome Home PC)
Generator Owner
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-06-23
Time 11:45

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name OWNER-58DEF8456 (Newsome Home PC)
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type 2x , 2300 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 3328 MB
BIOS Type AMI (07/04/08)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4650 (512 MB)
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4650 (512 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (1804486689)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter HD Audio rear output

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive Generic- Compact Flash USB Device
Disk Drive Generic- SM/xD-Picture USB Device
Disk Drive Generic- SD/MMC USB Device
Disk Drive Generic- MS/MS-Pro USB Device
Disk Drive Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 USB Device (298 GB, USB)
Disk Drive ST3500320AS (465 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS15
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 476937 MB (433325 MB free)
E: (NTFS) 305242 MB (220337 MB free)
Total Size 763.8 GB (638.3 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (IntelliType Pro)
Mouse Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (192.168.1.119)

Peripherals:
Printer EPSON Stylus Photo R260 Series
Printer HP DeskJet 710C
Printer HP DeskJet 712C
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer Send To OneNote 2007
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device CanoScan 4200F #3
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
IF the full report is needed, please let me know and I can post it or email it to ya. Thanks, Tara.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Speedfan report?

You can run speedfan and do a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Here is the screen shot of the Speedfan test. I hope you can see it to read it. Thanks for any help you can give.

Oh and one more thing, the pc did something new today and I really don't know what to make of it. When I tried to wake the system from standby mode, the screen would not wake. The tower did, but the screen would not come on. So I moved the mouse around a little and nothing. So I turned the monitor off and then back on, the power light went blue and I saw the little box that pops up and tells you that your running it in analog mode and then the power button went yellow again as if it went to sleep. So I had to hard reboot the system and then everything was working again. I know most people would say it's the monitor, but I just don't think so. The monitor just is a year old this month and I haven't had any issues from it. Any and all ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedfanSShot__Large_.jpg

Edited by RiffRaffCat75, 24 June 2009 - 08:10 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
From what I see your temps are good you are not overheating...

Right now I can't think of the reason for your screen issues...

It is not likely you monitor... The MOBO emits a signal to the monitor that wakes it up, but it failed to send it,

I'm sorry I don't have anything else for you right now, but I have a room full of computers I have to tend to.

Good Luck

Cbarnard

Advertisements

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
OK, I understand. Thanks anyway.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe you are having what is called Artifacts from the video card. I'm researching it and will try to get back to you quickly

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
As odd as this my sound, but ever since I added the Speedfan app and let it always run, I haven't had this issue again. I feel that it must be some kind of over heating problem. With that said, is there a way to add another fan to the case that would help cool the system? I believe there are four fans now; 1. one on power supply 2. one on top heatsink of CPU 3. one in back of casing 4. one on video card. I was thinking that maybe I could add a fan that would draw in cool air or suck out hot air. Any input on this idea?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The more air you can move through the case the better.
Some cases even come with a air duct specifically designed to suck air directly over the GPU.

Also though you may have done this already...I would double check the area right around your GPU and make sure nothing is impeding the air flow.
Also make sure nothing is slowing the fan down like a ribbon or wire.

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 July 2009 - 08:21 AM.

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks rshaffer61. Yeah, more air is just always better. This case does have the air duct and vent to suck the air directly to the processor, which I think is great.

I'll check all the other things you mentioned too, but wouldn't you know as soon as I said something about it not having this issue anymore, it starts doing it all over again first thing this morning. I think there is some kind of hardware or software conflict some where that we just can't put our finger on. It all really makes no sense. I thought for a minute there that maybe it had worked it's self out, but I guess I was wrong about that one. I can still hope.