Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics card issue

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it crashing or getting a BSOD?

Advertisements

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Nope, but that's the thing, it's not doing anything else wrong. Just this stupid artifact pattern replacement thing when it feels like it. The only reason I have addressed the issue of this graphic replacement thingy it's doing is because I don't want to just let it go and then it gets really bad and have no money to fix it. If there's a problem with something I like to fix them early if I can. I was hoping this problem would be something simple and then fix it and be done with it, but that's not the case. I'm still afraid that if I can't figure out why it's doing this, that the problem will just snowball into something major and then I'm up the creek. I bet I'm driving you crazy with this problem and I'm sorry if I have, but I just really like to get things under control and keep them that way. And not knowing why it's doing something that it's not supposed to be doing, is driving me crazy. Holy cow! Look at all that rambling I just did!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok let's step back a minute and rethink this
I believe the artifacts is the problem but we need to narrow this down alittle more
Is this happening as soon as windows starts?
Does it happen when you are watching a video
How about playing a game?
Does it happen when something graphic wise is being displayed and as soon as it is done does the artifacting go away?

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Is this happening as soon as windows starts? No. Usually after the machine has been running a little while.

Does it happen when you are watching a video? Not during the video, but when you close the video/program, yes, the desktop image is gone and has been replaced with the artifact pattern.

How about playing a game? This answer would be the same one as the above answer.

Does it happen when something graphic wise is being displayed and as soon as it is done does the artifacting go away? No and No. It mostly does it when you "wake" the machine from standby mode or after you close programs. Sometimes it will do it on the internet by replacing icons and in programs like Microsoft word2007 by replacing graphics or icons with this same artifact pattern. Once it starts replacing graphics and icons with this pattern, it doesn't stop until I do a restart and then it may or may not do it again for a while.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is really strange.
This is what I would suggest.
Reboot and go into Safe Mode
Uninstall graphic card drivers.
Reboot and let the OS find the new video card.
Then reinstall drivers in normal mode.
Let us know if this works. I am researching more on this.

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
"Really strange" is exactly what we said. My pc guy who built it for me can't figure this one out either and he has already done the steps you suggested above when he installed the new and upgraded graphics card on June 21. I'm here asking because we (me and my pc guy) are out of ideas. I've almost decide to just accept that it's just something this machine is going to do. At the moment the only thing it's hurting is my state of mind.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the MOBO have a built on video?

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Not to the best of my knowledge. The MOBO is a ASUS M3A78 Motherboard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would normally suggest a new graphic card but you already did that.
Try this

Go to Start and then to Run and Type in dxdiag and then click Enter
At the bottom of the System page click on Save All Information
Save As a Text file and save to Desktop.Include this file with your next reply.
On the DirectX Files tab, check at the bottom of the window for any problem notes.
On the Display Tab click the
Test DirectDraw button and wait for the results.
Then click the Test Direct3D button and wait for the results.

In your next reply include results of each of the above steps.