Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Drivers for "Multimedia Audio Controller" and "Universa

• Please log in to reply

adai2020

adai2020

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

I just reinstalled a clean Windows XP copy in my desktop computer which is of Dell Dimension 4550 model. I had reformatted the entire disk, deleted everything and reinstalled a clean copy of Windows XP Home with service pack 2 into my desktop.

Most of the drivers were missing after the reinstall.I managed to get suitable drivers for my network adapters and now i can successfully login to the internet.

In my device manager window, i still have two devices which have a big yellow question mark next to them. They are "Multimedia Audio Controller" and "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" devices. I do not know where i can get the suitable drivers for these devices.

I have all CD's that came bundled with this computer. Among them are Dell Dimension Resource CD for Reinstalling Device Drivers and Using Diagnostics, Utilities and Online Documentation.

I need help in finding the right drivers for my two devices. Currently i cannot hear any audio from the speakers of my
computer. I need to install appropriate drivers to make my speakers and microphone function.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Did you use the Dell Recovery cd or a different one?

Both the Audio drivers and the chipset drivers should be on the driver cd. Did you take a look in there for them?

Have you gone to the Dell website and searched your system for the appropriate drivers?

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 20 June 2009 - 09:46 PM.

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

I did use the given Dell Reinstallation CD for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. I used only those provided by Dell when i purchased the computer.

I think i did the installation properly. The problem is in the Dell Resource CD that is given, there are many types of drivers available such that i do not know which is the suitable driver. I have tried going to the Dell website but they too seem to provide a long ,list of suggested so called optional drivers. Thus i am not sure which are the correct drivers to install from my Dell Resource CD that was given or do i need to find for the drivers else wehere.

For my Network adapter, i had to download one driver from Intel and another from Dell to install.

Thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. on the back of the desktop, there should be a sticker with someting called a "tag number".

Now, go to the Dell website and click on the "Drivers and Support" option.

The next screen should give you an option to use the tag number or to search the make and model of your system. Enter the Tag Number in the appropriate box. That should get you to the drivers you need.

Murray

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

I went here according to your advice,

http://support.dell..../...-1&impid=-1

Under the Audio section, there are two downloads available:
Analog Devices - Driver and Harmon Kardon HTML

Both of them have been labelled optional. So do i just download both of them or only the Analog Devices - Driver. My speakers are of the Harmon/Kardon model which was supplied together with the computer.

Thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just the Analog Devices driver along with the one and only Chipset driver.

Murray

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I downloaded both Analog Devices and Chipset Driver and tried installing them. The chipset Driver Installation was successful. But when i installed the analog devices driver, after a while during setup process it says

Driver not Found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again.

I have already tried rebooting and doing setup again, but still get the same error message. What do i do now ?

EDIT: Hi, an information that i thought that you may want to know:
When i go to Start->All Programs->Accessrories->Entertainment->Volume Control , i get an error message saying

"There are no active mixer devices available.To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware"

I thought that this information might be helpful to you in helping me.

Thanks.

Edited by adai2020, 20 June 2009 - 10:51 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Did you follow the installation instructions as per the Dell website?

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for R56339.EXE

Download

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
window appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R56339.EXE.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\r56339. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\r56339 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Murray

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi Murray S,

I did follow the installation process accurately. But unfortunately i still ended up with the error message half way into the installation.

While i was waiting for your last/previous reply, i had inserted my Dell Resource CD which contains all the relevant drivers fro my desktop into the cd drive. Then i went to Hardware Device Manager and right clicked on each of the "Multimedia Audio Controller" and "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" which had a big yellow question mark next to them. I then clicked on update drivers.

A window then popped up asking me whether i want to update from installation cd allowing the tool to automatically search for the relevant drivers from my "Dell Resource CD for Reinstalling Drivers" cd and install them automatically.

I waited for a few seconds, and magically it started to download drivers from the cd automatically. Then i realised that both the devices do not have yellow question mark beside them anymore.

I then tried sound recorder from accessories->entertainment to test both my speaker and microphone. Amazingly both my microphone and speaker are now working perfectly fine. I can speak into the microphone and it can be successfully played back on the speaker.

Thanks a lot for your guidance and help.

Adai.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Glad you got it sorted out.

Murray