Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checkdisk

• Please log in to reply

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
From 2-3 days my computer is starting to act a little weird although I don't suspect any virus or other malware.
Whenever I boot it asks me to scan both the partitions using the check disk utility even though I shut down the computer properly.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok". At the prompt in the "Ok". At the prompt in the command window that opens, type fsutil dirty query D: and press "Enter
Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

• If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

• chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c D: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
  • chkntfs /x D: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r D: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query D:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup.

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Thank you rshaffer61 :)

Yes it shows that the drive is dirty and I'll follow the steps you told me to and tell you the results soon..
Thanks once again :)

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Thank a lot rshaffer61!! My computer is running perfectly fine now :)

If you have a little time can you please explain a bit about this dirty bit thing?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I hope this explains it as I am supplying two different explanations for it.

• A Dirty Bit or invalid Bit is a bit of Virtual Memory Page or a bit of Memory Cache that has been modified by the CPU but did not or has not been written back to storage yet.
• This will cause a error to occur in that bit which in turn causes the chkdsk to run on every boot.
• This Dirty Bit or Invalid Bit is caused by changes being made by chkdsk /f operation and the changes were not made before the system was shut down.
Chkdsk will run in a continued state of a loop till the Invalid Bit is repaired or cleaned

• A piece of Memory that has not corrected itself after being checked
• It fails to do this when it has not been able to write to storage before the system was turned off.
• This results in a basically corrupted memory hole that gets stuck in a constant loop till it is corrected.

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 June 2009 - 07:34 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BTW I just wanted to say:

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Thanks again rshaffer61.. I got it.. :)

I am a student right now with zero earnings so I cannot donate right now but I assure you I will definitely do it the day I have a paypal account.. I am very thankful to GTG for helping me and many others every time we have a problem.. You guys just rock!! :)

Edited by Mohit Daksh, 21 June 2009 - 11:16 PM.