Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Headphones/microphone extension lead

• Please log in to reply

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

Is it possible to buy an extension lead for both cables to bring them up from the computer box (under the desk) to desk level ?

The reason for the question is that my boss needs to be able to listen to her music on the monitor speakers most of the time but plug in her Skype headset for making/receiving calls on occasion ?

The Skype headset has a single cable which is "split" just at the end for the headphone/speaker sockets.

At the moment, the headset is permanently connected under her desk, but she's unhappy about losing the ability to listen to her music collection on the speakers.

Alternatively is it possible to install a second sound card for her monitor speakers, so the headset can remain permanently connected too.

Of course, if there is another/better way of organising the sound, please let me know. If you need any further information, please ask.

Regards,
Julia

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am sure if you went in to your local consumer electronics store with the head set in hand and tell them you want a 6 ft extension for it, they could walk over to the rack and pull it off the shelf. However, the problem with long wires and extra connections on small things like microphones and tiny speakers used in headsets is they add extra resistance and with those tiny voltages, that can result in more noise or added distortion. The head set audio may fair well, but the person on the other end of the microphone may have a harder time understanding.

There are several alternatives - Switch

New speakers with mic and headphone jacks

And too numerous to list, there are many new monitors to choose from that have built in speakers for music, as well as mic and headphone jacks when it is time to talk or for private music listening.

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I've seen headphone extension leads as they're quite common, but wasn't sure about microphone extension leads, hence the question. I've just looked on Maplin's website and can't see them.

I only need a pair of short extension lead to bring the connectors up to desk level - about 3ft at most I'd say - just so that the monitor speakers could be permanently connected and the Skype headset could be quickly plugged in when needed.

I thought there may be a switch option - I will look into this further.

I have seen speakers with a headphone socket but not one with a microphone socket, the one you mention seems quite large but I will look at it further. I haven't seen a monitor with a headphones socket as well as earphones but I will look into this.

What do you think about the possibility of having a second sound card for the monitor audio output ? That would seem a cheap option.

Regards,
Julia

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

What do you think about the possibility of having a second sound card for the monitor audio output ? That would seem a cheap option.

I have seen this done, but often with much frustration getting the correct sounds to appear as needed. That was early versions of XP.

The switch option I showed above may be your best bet. If she will be switching back and forth all day, it would be wise to invest in a good quality switch, built to withstand commercial use.

Edited by Digerati, 21 June 2009 - 09:45 AM.

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've found an audio switch by a well known telecoms manufacturer on sale so I bought it for my boss. It has a simple rocker switch - she'll be using the speakers most of the time, but switch it over to Skype headset as soon as a call comes in - or she wishes to make a Skype call.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Regards,
Julia

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Great and thanks for the followup.