Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Random Restarting

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is kinda an odd situation. I have an emachines T5082. It came with vista on it originally and I put xp on it. Thats just some general info before I get to the whole problem.

I have a friend who was having problems with his computer just randomly restarting. It was doing it 4 or 5 times in 30 mins or so. He did scans of every kind, downloaded temperature programs to make sure it wasn't overheating, the whole nine yards. He finally had had enough and thought it was a virus, and asked my son to reformat his computer. He had some pictures and music on his hd that he wanted to keep so my son took out his hd and put it in my computer and dumped the stuff he wanted to keep on my external hd. (The reason he took it out and put it in mine is because his computer is older and would have taken 2 days to get it all off) So, my son reformats his hd while it's in my computer and then takes it out once it's done and puts it back in his computer. Problem solved? Nope! His computer is still doing it, and now mine is randomly restarting every so often. I'm not sure what the deal is. Any ideas? :)

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Let us focus on your computer for now, and then we will deal with your friend's computer.
Follow the directions here: http://www.tweakxp.c...ticle36976.aspx
And here: http://www.cakewalk....er/minidump.asp
Then recreate your problem. A BSOD should pop up... tell me the error code.