Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista and XP Network Issues

• Please log in to reply

Hephaestus_42

Hephaestus_42

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have 2 identical Vista laptops, and one XP desktop. The Vista machines are bothe wireless, and the XP is wired.

My problem is this:

Vista machine 1 can see all computers on the network, and can access all computers

XP machine can see all computers, but can only access Vista machine 1

Vista machine 2 can see Vista Machine 1 but not XP machine, however it can see the XP machine as a media device and can access the Windows Media Player library on that machine

I suspect some setting on Vista Machine 2 is causing my issue

Thanks for any suggestions

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Hephaestus_42; welcome to G2G :)

I'm sorry for the delay in a response. On each of the machines, please do the following File Sharing Troubleshooting test (i.e. do the Vista test on the Vista machines and the XP test on the XP machine). When you post the results, please label each as you have been (Vista1, Vista2, XP).

Step 1 - File Sharing Troubleshooting (Windows XP):
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • net view >> C:\results.txt
    • net share >> C:\results.txt
    • nbtstat -n >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Step 2 - File Sharing Troubleshooting (Windows Vista):
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • net view >> C:\results.txt
    • net share >> C:\results.txt
    • nbtstat -n >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan