Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Logon Problem

• Please log in to reply

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Well, I got my PC back today and they were very vague about what was wrong with my PC. Finally, one guy told me I had a virus and he found it with AVG. I have Avast, keep it up to date but it didn't catch it with a scan just before I rebooted.

Is this usual?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would have to be a really new virus for Avast not to catch it. Like the same day or day before.

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
If this does not belong here I apologize but seeing as this is the same PC & I just got it back today-------

OK, I have tried to use my PC and every time I double click on a short cut I get error

MMC cannot open the file, this maybe because the file does not exist or is not in the MMC console.

What is Microsoft Management Console?

Is this part of the virus they were talking about? I didn't have this on my PC before I took it to be repaired???

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
A virus caused this (keyboard not working)?
So did the techs there tell you why you couldn't enter the BIOS setup?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow
If prompted for your Windows CD, pop one in.

Try the shortcut fix from here: http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
After I pressed for an answer, they just kept telling me it was a virus. I specifically asked about the keyboard issue and was told it was a virus---a new one something to do with Spyware Pro couldn't get it all as he was mumbling and finally I gave up but let him I know that I really did NOT believe it was a virus. But it didn't cost me for repairs (which also made me suspicious)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did the shortcut problem get fixed?

It cannot have been a virus... does the keyboard work during the BIOS setup now?

elliemae

elliemae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
No the shortcut fix didnt work but I reinstalled XP again. Keyboard SEEMS to be working fine but I have quit using that PC until I can get it backed up. Then I am going to wipe it and start all over. Thanks for ALL the help!!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to see that everything is working. :)