Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Hawking Technology extender

• Please log in to reply

fveenst

fveenst

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok...ive been trying to setup a wireless extender called Hawking Technology model # HWREG1. I have called the tech people twice and they suck so now im asking someone else because im desperate. Okay so heres the situation. First of all I have a laptop so i get my internet through wifi. I do not have a router, i just use the public signals that i get from my apartment. It is the summer and the trees are adding interference and im having a lot of trouble finding and keeping my signals. (there are probably 2-3 different public signals that i can use when my computer detects them). This is why my dad gave me his hawking device to extend the wireless signals. I will have to do everything manually because i do not have the actuall router in my house so i cant possibly connect to it. Here is where im at
-i have connected my hawking extender to my laptop and the power adpater.
-then i insert the cd and the laptop recognizes the device so i select it and hit "next"
-then it asks for the ssid which i put in as "hawking extender"
-(here is where i need help) The setup wizard then asks for the IP address, and the subnet.

Im very confused on what i should put in. I have put in numerious numbers but nothing seems to work. Keep in mind that i am using a public network so i dont know what that IP address is. The manual said to go to the command prompt which i did and type in ipconfig and it gives me an IP address. Is this IP address for the network that i am currently connected to and should i use this addres for the setup wizard? The hawking tech people also made me do funny things with the networking and sharing center. Do i need to enter the same IP address into that too?

Anyway, this is where im stuck and if you guys cant help me well then im going to chuck this hawking crap out the window. lol PLEASE HELP!!!!! GIVE SPECIFIC DETAILS, im dumb!

Advertisements