Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer freezes then shuts off

• Please log in to reply

Legend706

Legend706

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am deployed at the moment and they have installed wireless internet in our living areas. I haven't been able to get on the internet for the past 5 days. When I click on the IE icon, the page comes up but after about 5 seconds of loading (before...the log-in screen for the wireless network came up quickly) it freezes up. I hit Ctr, Alt, Del and that takes a while to come up but when it does, the internet page disappears. Task Manager shows "System Idle Process" at 95-99 for CPU usage. Before the internet disappears and while task manager is up, it shows "Dumprep.exe" at 45 for CPU usage and System Idle Process at 45-50 for CPU usage. I have no idea what's wrong...mainly becuase I'm not even close to being a computer guru.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Dumprep.exe is a part of Windows error reporting tool, and it's normal for it to run, when an application crashes.
What IE version?
Did you try Firefox?

Legend706

Legend706

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I believe it is IE7. No I haven't tried Firefox...should it already be installed on my laptop? If not, I can't get on the internet to install it or update IE.

I saw on another site that I should disable the error reporting tool...would you agree with that?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can try....

Legend706

Legend706

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried that and it didn't work. Norton doesn't see anything wrong. OMG this is so frustrating...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What computer are you posting from?
Download Firefox on working computer, and move the installation file to bad computer.

Legend706

Legend706

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm at work right now...I will try download Firefox when I get off and see if that works. Thanks!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted :)