Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card Specs for Sims 3

• Please log in to reply

laura71

laura71

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

Have recently bought Sims 3, checked min requirements and thought my pc would run it. My video card is one that is listed as supported Geforce 6200SE Turbocache but the game is not running properly. I tried to use the system requirements checker on the sims site but it won't run as my browser is not supported ?? and so I can;t find out exactly why the game won;t run. Does my type of video card come in different RAM sizes? I suspect mine is 64mb and I need 128mb - am I on the right track? How would I find out what RAM my video card is.

Am I making any sense?? LOL

Thanks
Laura

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
http://www.thesims3.com/game/systemreq

128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

The above is the system specifications for the game. To best determine you video options, please go to Start, Run and enter dxdiag. It may take a bit to launch. Once it launches, select the "save all information button". It will then prompt for file name and location to save it to. Please make note of this. In your next reply, please attach this text file.

In Dxdiag, if you click on the display tab, it will give you information about your video card. Base on the given information, you may not have a video card that meets minimum system requirements.

laura71

laura71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help. Did realise that the min was 128mb for the game and thought that's what I had, then someone told me my type of video card can come in 64mb as well so now in doubt. I've attached dxdiag.

Appreciate the help.

Laura

Attached Files

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
so your video card is on the supported card list. You also have plenty of memory (256megs). So what seems to be the issue?

laura71

laura71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This is the problem, I don't know what the issue is. My system meets the minimum requirements but EA sports help tells me it isn't supported. I am trying to run their requirements checker but a box pops up and says my brower is not supported so the checker doesn't run. I am trying to find out from their help site exactly why my game won't run. The game loaded ok and played for a while and then all of a sudden the colour / picture starting going dark and a couple of minutes later the system shut down. I'm waiting to hear back from EA sports, thanks for your help in the meantime. Any thoughts?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
did you ever get the system requirements checker to run? I tested with IE 8 and it worked, but you had to ok the active x install and then run the checker again to install the active x, and then one last time to start the analysis of your system.

If you have issues running from their site, please give this a try: http://www.systemreq...referrer/srtest

in the meantime try this:
* Open The Sims 3
* Click on the '...' Options button on the lower left-hand corner or press 'F5' on your keyboard
* Click on the 'Options...' menu item
* By default, Sims 3 should load the 'Graphics' tab first
* Under 'Detail Settings,' set all your graphics sliders to 'Low'

laura71

laura71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, systems checker on their site still won't run and even the active x install won't run properly - just comes up with browser not supported even though I have IE 8. Give up on that now! However used the link you pasted and that has run ok - active x control installed ok too. Report says that my system meets all the minimum requirements although there are drive updates for both video card and sound card so I will run them and then will try and run the game again - will take your advice and lower the graphics slider. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again for your help, much better than EA website!