Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP home ed, Network connection problem

• Please log in to reply

rvenable

rvenable

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First let me start by saying my computer has been infected by the google updater rootkit. Thanks to the awesome posts on the security forum I am convinced that the rootkit (and others) have been successfully removed. ComboFix was pretty intense and found numerous problems. At the completion the computer runs better than it ever has, fast and no other problems, well except one - no internet connection. Over the past week I have re-loaded service pack 3, IE7, Firefox, cleaned the registery (RegCure). I have looked at the low level network setup and it seems to be working. I can ping various sites, google, yahoo and my work. Using ipconfig - everything looks good. No program on my computer can connect to the network, I have tried numerous ones. So my first question is how is a network connection established? What services are used? Next what trouble shooting aids can I use to help find the network connection problem?

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have you been given a clean bill of health by the Malware forums? Sounds like you just need to run WinsockfixXP if thats the case. Please do an ipconfig /all from a command line and post your results.

Edited by diabillic, 21 June 2009 - 08:06 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK
to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog
press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in.. netsh int ip reset reset.log
press ...enter

rvenable

rvenable

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
AWESOME!! I'm back on the net. So Simple. HappyRock - if you don't mind, what did I do on the second command? I'm not familiar with it.

Many thanks,

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

if you don't mind, what did I do on the second command?

it actually says what it does just before the bold...it Reset the TCP/IP stack to installation defaults

Edited by happyrock, 23 June 2009 - 07:57 PM.