Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro Computer Freezes after 20 minutes.

• Please log in to reply

docgoblin

docgoblin

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I am working on a friend's computer which has recently started freezing after about 20 minutes or so. It's an older machine (Compaq Presario 5000) with a 1GB processor. They were running with 384MB factory PC-133 SD RAM (1 X 256MB and 1 X 128MB). It had a 32MB video card. Although the RAM was too low for XP It seemed, initially, that it was overheating. I stripped it, cleaned it out, put new silver paste on the CPU/Heatsink, put an NVIDIA 256MB 5500FX video card and put new RAM in totaling 768MB (3X256 PC-133). I also put in extra cooling. I installed Motherboard Monitor (which I don't trust much) to see if temps seem good, and they do. I ran SpeedFan to see if the hard drive is ok. It came up healthy. No matter what else I do the system freezes after 15-20 minutes. All service packs are updated and all spyware and virus scans come up negative. It freezes whether the system is idle or whether an application is running. It always freezes within 20 minutes. Am I missing something or is the board or CPU fried?

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
How to capture an event log and upload it to the forum: SYSTEM
  • First, open Event Viewer by clicking Start -> Run -> type eventvwr.msc and press ENTER.
  • In the Event Viewer please right click the requested event log (i.e. Application, system, etc...) and click Save Log File As.
  • Please save the logfile to your desktop and give it a recognizable name.
  • Do this for each log that has been requested.
  • When you are finished saving the necessary logs, close Event Viewer.
  • On your desktop find the saved log files. Hold the CTRL key and click to select each event log.
  • When all event logs are selected, right-click one of them, click Send to -> Compressed Zip Folder.
  • A new .ZIP file will have been created on your desktop. Please attach that file to this forum in your next reply.

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I am attaching both the System and Application Event Logs.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
DHCP is faulting big time. It seems the system is telling that DHCP may need fixed.

Do you have your XP disk? If so follow these steps to do a SFC /SCANNOW

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have the Windows disk. As soon as I initiate the SFC it asks for the disk. After I put the disk in, the scan continues. It gets to about 1/4 complete when the system freezes completely. I've tried running it twice with the same result.

Do you see any other solution, or is reformatting inevitable?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It appears those DHCP errors were actually from April 29th, not now, so I don't suspect that's the issue. DHCP errors shouldn't cause a total freeze, nor should they stop SFC from working.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
On the event viewer you have to click Next Page at the top right. You will see the errors go all the way up to current.

The Log starts out as the oldest recorded, then next page > > > etc, goes to most recent.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I've been through the entire event viewer, and there are no recent DHCP events. I see the following failure over and over, which is an error rather than a warning.

The HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service service hung on starting.

I don't see anything else within 15-20 minutes of start up that appears to be consistently failing. I don't know if the failure of that service is causing the issue. It might be worth changing the startup of that service to manual and seeing if that changes anything.

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have changed the startup of the HP CUE device discovery svc to disabled as was recommended on an HP thread. After doing that I had the system running for more than 3 hours. I ran a full virus scan and an Ad-Aware scan. No serious threats were detected. The system still froze after about 3 hours. When I ran the SFC scan it froze immediately. Otherwise It's been running well for an hour or two. Unfortunately it will still eventually freeze. I'm including the latest System event log if that helps at all.

Attached Files

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I just ran the system for exactly 3 hours before it froze. I was running all sorts of apps. The last half hour or so I was running YouTube vids. It finally froze after the 4th or 5th video. I immediately restarted and ran a new system event log. Here it is... What do you see?

Attached Files

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'm not at a computer so I can't look right now, but I'll look at your last two when I get a chance.

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks sari!

I'll wait for you're next reply. I'm at the point of just saving their important docs and doing a reformat. I'd like to know what's causing this though. I think it has something to do with the resident HP software. I just want to make sure it's not a hardware issue before I go through a reinstall.

By the way... Would a Windows repair help?

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I have uploaded the main example which happened on June 20, 2009 at 5:05 PM

A system repair is suggested. A little more to analyze then we will decide.

Attached Thumbnails

• DHCPJune20.jpg

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 23 June 2009 - 11:17 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The last error in the last log also appears to be an HP issue. Let me ask someone to take a look.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello all :)

I'm going to give a suggestion here that will lock out the DHCP as being the problem.
docgoblin (Awesome name btw :) ), Please unplug your ethernet cable (So disconnect from the network completely).
If you disconnect, does it still freeze up? If yes, We'll work from there. If no, we know it isn't the DHCP and we can work on from there.\

EDIT:

By the way... Would a Windows repair help?

Very unlikely, Unless some system services would be damaged.
But so far we've not seen any system files damaged so I would advise against a repair.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 24 June 2009 - 05:47 AM.