Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro Computer Freezes after 20 minutes.

• Please log in to reply

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Dead end again. New PSU. I stick 256MB RAM. 1 HDD connected. Nothing else connected. Froze in 20 minutes. What next?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can i add alittle here guys? :)

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

If this does not work then:

Go to:
Start and then My Computer
Right Click On "C" drive and then click on Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Reboot and let us know how system is running now

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks rshaffer I'll give that a shot. Should I re-enable the services and start-ups which I previously disabled?

I just installed SpeedFan. The window shows nothing. There are no fans shown, no temps monitored and no voltage readings. It only indicates the two hard drives found.

Edited by docgoblin, 27 June 2009 - 03:05 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Turning on the Services/Startups should be fine as it didn't show to be the culprit.. :)

Regards,
Olrik

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Did the clean-up. Cleaned out over 1GB worth of junk. System froze about an hour into defrag.

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have transferred all their pics and stuff onto an external drive. I'm gonna reformat at this point and see how the system holds up after I do all the updates etc...

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Computer froze about 67% into drive formatting. Figuring that maybe the HD was corrupted I tried formatting a spare drive which I know was working. It formatted and started installing windows. During the "Installing Devices" stage (about 37 minutes remaining) it froze. Should I determine at this point that the board is the problem? It seems that we've exhausted all other possibilities. The only other thing I can think of is that the BIOS may need updating. I think the date indicated in the EVEREST report was 2000 or 2001. Would an outdated BIOS cause the system to freeze like this? How do I update the BIOS without Windows?

Thanks again for all your help!

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Just thought I would jump in and ask, do you have any periperal devices or PCI cards attached to this pc?

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Just thought I would jump in and ask, do you have any periperal devices or PCI cards attached to this pc?

There is the C drive (I have disconnected the 2nd drive for now), two cd drives, and a floppy drive. There is a PCI modem card and a PCI network card. There is also the Nvidia 5500 AGP card.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Lets hope your HD was causing the freezing problem. Now you seem to have a different issue.

During the "Installing Devices" stage (about 37 minutes remaining) it froze.

I suspect your PCI network card is the culprit at this point but just to be sure pull both that and the modem card and try the install again. These can easily be installed at a later time, but I doubt you need both of them. Many network cards of that era ask you to install the drivers, shut down and then install the card.

How do I update the BIOS without Windows?

Its only in the last few years that you have been able to flash a bios from within windows actually. Typically for a machine of that vintage you boot from the floppy drive, run a flash program, back up the current bios and flash with the new one. Having said that it probably won't be necessary so hold off on that for now.

Advertisements

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I took out the two PCI cards. I reformatted with only 1 HD, 1 CD drive, 1 256MB RAM stick and the video card hooked up. Windows went through the setup. I decided to let the system run barebones for a while to make sure there is no problem. The system froze within 10 minutes of initial boot. I am attaching the three event logs in a compressed file. Maybe they will show you something.

Attached Files

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
"He's dead, Jim". The Presario 5000 came out 1998. It had a good run. Let it die in dignity and toss the motherboard in the recycle bin.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I agree, the thing still locks up with everything pulled out so it looks like its time for that thing to go into retirement.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
How did you know my name is Jim? :)

I was going to suggest you try another video card and see if that helps but I see you've done that. You can try testing the ram but if that doesn't show any errors your down to the cpu and mobo which really aren't worth replacing.

MemTest86