Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixing corrupted HDD

• Please log in to reply

vimernu

vimernu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I've got a problem involving corrupted hdd with 2 partitions as well as installing windows xp problems. Here's what happened in detail. I was browsing the net when the pc restarted by ITSELF and after that, the system does not recognize the hard disk anymore. I thought I could handle this because usually this only happens because of connection problems, so, I unplugged the hdd and replugged it, and the system recognizes it again. After rebooting again, I arrived at the pre-windows xp (black) screen where you can see safe mode, safe mode (with networking), last known good configuration, etc. So I picked the Last Known Good configuration option, and windows loaded. Then, before arriving at the "enter password" screen, there appeared a blue screen saying it will do a disk check and where I have the option to "to skip disk check, press any key in (?) seconds", so of course I let it check the disk. After 7% progress, it hung up and it redirected to a much bluer screen saying some stuff like "If this is the first time you see this screen etc...." and restarted again by itself saying some files are corrupted! So what did I do? I used my windows xp installer. But here's the part where many problems occurred: I reformatted it using FAT, and at times it said that format cannot continue since one or more files are found to be unrecoverable, and sometimes it reformats completely. But, at the copying setup files part, it usually stops at 20% and said setup cannot continue and guess what? IT RESTARTS AGAIN AND IT WON'T RECOGNIZE THE HDD (AGAIN)! I repeated the processes that I mentioned above until I arrive at the reformatting part. Using the installer, I deleted that partition, and created a new one, again using FAT. But the problem just kept repeating itself again and again. I do not mind reformatting the C: drive as long as it doesn't touch anything in the D: drive where most of my "important" files are stored. Please help me with this one.

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Hi Vimernu, Welcome to Geeks To Go :)

The symtoms decribed in your post point to corrupted sectors on the hard drive.

In order to correct this issue, we will need a genuine Windows XP CD.

If one is not available an alternative can be found here.

Download the rc.iso to the desktop of a functioning machine.

Also, download ISO Recorder to the desktop.

Install ISO Recorder using the default options. Once completed insert a blank CD into the CD-ROM drive.

Click the next button.

The program will create a bootable CD which we will need to help repair the corrupted drive.

This process might require several steps. Can you perform the above and let me know if all the steps were completed.

vimernu

vimernu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I think it would take me a while to do your recommended steps, since I'll be looking for someone who can help me by letting me use his pc.

Although, is it possible for me to use a recovery CD to fix this problem? I still have my COMPAC PC Recovery CD, and I just thought of it when I saw it again last night.