Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Xp doesn't recognize my portable harddisk

• Please log in to reply

lab))

lab))

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi all,

iI got this problem , i have a portable harddisk but my windows xp wont show it, i even dont hear a sound that its turning on nothing , it even wont show it in disk management , so cant change the drive letter ore annything, so i putted the portable hd in a other computer , it worked directly .
So i tried a other usb in my own computer and the weird thing is , that worked wel,
and it won't show ether in safe mode.
tried to download drivers voor usb device.
but it wont work. and i have tried all usb ports ..

what can i do more to fix the problem?

setup:
Windows xp service pack 3
P4

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Correct me if I am wrong. I just need to re-clarify so I have a better understanding.

Your portable disk does not work in this computer, BUT does work in another computer.
You plugged in another USB device in to the "non working" computer and that device works.
You tried all the USB ports.

Did you try all the ports using the portable drive AND the other device?
Have you tried re-booting the computer?
Do you have any other USB devices like mouse, keyboard, flash drive installed in the ports?
Try disconnecting those and try the drive again.

123runner

Ed124ch

Ed124ch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Please let me know when you find the fix to this problem. I have the same problem:

I have a Sony Vaio desktop running XP SP2. I bought an Asus EEE PC in China with a Samsung 160 GB external HD (it appears to be real but I cannot find it listed on internet).

My Vaio will not recognize the Samsung external HD, but the Asus will. Also the Asus has a 16 G SD memory card which also works on the Asus but not on the Vaio.

It appears that my Vaio will not work with anything I bought in China, but the China stuff all works together.

I reloaded the Asus with XP in English, but it still shows some things in Chinese so I must not have deleted everything like I thought I did. Could there be something in the BIOS?

Thank you for your help,
Ed

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Maybe your PC USB connector or USB driver not working very well.

Try install the latest mainboard chipset driver and reboot PC.
Then connect the USB HDD and see if you can see it in the storage management.

If not, there should be another USB connector on the USB HDD cable, that can help supplying the USB HDD with more electricity to power on.

Hope this helps!
Bill
www.PcTestCard.com

Edited by PcTestCard, 05 July 2009 - 12:37 AM.

Ed124ch

Ed124ch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am not the original post, but my problem is resolved.

I loaded all the updates from Sony for my PC. Even ones that didn't seem to apply to my problem.

Thanks,