Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a New Computer

• Please log in to reply

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Hi,

I would like to purchase a new desktop, but I do not know where to start. I used to have a Dell and I was pretty happy with it. Any advice please?
I am considering buying the tower only, as I already have the keyboard, mouse, and monitor of my previous desktop. But if it is a good value, I will buy the monitor with the desktop.
I am also not considering building a computer, since I simply want a good computer for the money. Nothing major - basically just for internet, email, documents, pictures, movies, etc...
For the tower only I was considering paying about $500.
Also, when is a good time to purchase a computer? When are the best deals? July 4th?
What is a good desktop to buy? Should I go with Dell, HP, or emachine, etc...?
Specifically?
Thanks

For example, I saw that Dell is currently selling a $500 Insipiron 537s with 19" monitor. Good buy?

Advertisements

diazed

diazed

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I recommend Antec Skeleton ATX Tower Computer Case, It is the coolest case ever. Cool in temp, cool in features\led's etc.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi hospitaldoctor, Welcome to GeekstoGo!,

For what you are going to be using the computer for something with a Core 2 Duo should do just fine. It is rather speedy if you need it to be. It has 2 Cores(like 2 processors in one) and is different than a "dual core", confusing right? Anyway, another thing you need to consider is how much music, movies, pictures, etc are you going to be storing on this computer? That would determine if you need a very large hard drive or not. You would also like the hard drive to run at 7200RPM. This will help with programs opening up quicker and other pleasant user experience things...

For example, I saw that Dell is currently selling a $500 Insipiron 537s with 19" monitor. Good buy?

I have briefly looked on their website, and that does seem to be a fair buy. The one I'm looking at on there for $500 that comes with a 19" Monitor has a 7XXX series Core 2 Duo and it also has the 7200 RPM hard drive that I mentioned earlier. It seems to come with a 500GB hard drive which gives a decent amount of room unless you are going to be storing tons of movies or have a huge music library on it. If you would like, check and see how much spaced you have used on your current computer, or maybe what a friend has used on theirs. Overall, this computer is almost identical to what I will be building for my parents, and they just do the main stuff like surf the net, check email, type a letter, maybe watch a movie, etc.

Under My Computer >> Right click your C Drive >> Select Properties >> How much space do you have? How much space have you used? This will give you an idea of what you personally have used the last few years or so. I hope you see my point.

What is a good desktop to buy? Should I go with Dell, HP, or emachine, etc...?

I believe e-machine is a cheaper brand. If I was going to buy a computer and not build a computer, I would look towards Dell or HP. I currently have a Dell Inspiron Laptop that I have been very pleased with over the years.

I recommend Antec Skeleton ATX Tower Computer Case, It is the coolest case ever. Cool in temp, cool in features\led's etc.

This is just a computer case for building your own, I'm not sure why diazed would of recommended this.

Also, when is a good time to purchase a computer? When are the best deals? July 4th?

That would be the same as everything. You might just catch it on sale.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Dell has sales all the time. You can check a site like slickdeals.net or techbargains.com for daily deals on Dell and other OEM deals for PC's.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Thanks Ferrari, I appreciate your help
I currently have 140GB, and it is more than enough
I noticed that Dell has a ton of different styles of desktops, which one is my best bet?
There are large towers and slim towers, which is better? Which do you recommend?
Should I get the Dell Insipiron?
537? 537s? 531? 530? 530s?
Which is the best? I am having trouble choosing....
I want something fast, very reliable, quiet, and a great value
what is the best buy? I am better off with Dell over HP? for desktop and laptop?
Should I wait until July 4th weekend to buy one?
thank you

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I noticed that Dell has a ton of different styles of desktops, which one is my best bet?

There are large towers and slim towers, which is better? Which do you recommend?

Which is the best? I am having trouble choosing....

Style is just style, whatever one you think looks good, it doesn't have anything to do with performance on these kinds of desktops. And...

This Dell Inspiron without a monitor seems to be a good deal for under $500. HERE
This doesn't have a monitor either and is the "slim" style desktop. HERE

Should I get the Dell Insipiron?

For the price range you are looking in, the Inspirons are your best bet, but the second one is a studio slim if you care that much about style, they are almost identical hardware wise.

I want something fast, very reliable, quiet, and a great value

I think the ones I mentioned above are good value, I have no way of telling how quiet they are. I have always had good reliability from Dell's in the past, I don't know much about HP from personal experience, but have heard good things about HP and Dell. The ones I picked out above have a Core 2 Duo E7XXX Series processor in them and they have 7200 RPM hard drives. This is mainly where your speed will come from, and those aren't too bad. I have a very fast rig, and I use a 7200 RPM hard drive in it. Ideally, what you will be using this computer for, the Core 2 Duo processor is perfect for you. There is only 1 series above the 7XXX series and that is the 8XXX Series which Dell doesn't seem to offer in your price range, and you don't really need that anyway. The RAM (memory) that the ones I linked to have run at speeds of 800Mhz which again, will do you just fine. Also comes with 2GB of RAM which is ideal for Vista, anything less than 2GB in a brand new computer with Vista I would not recommend.

Should I wait until July 4th weekend to buy one?

Like I said before, it is like anything you would purchase, you may catch it on sale, you may not. I have no idea if Dell will be having a sale, or if your local electronics store will be having a sale on Dell's on 4th of July. I would imagine they would, most stores do. That is all up to you.

I have answered all your questions and provided you with my recommendations. Anything else?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Thanks
So what are the differences between the large and slim? For example the 530 and 530s... what are the differences exactly?
what is the difference between Vista 32 bit and 64 bit?
So should I call up Dell and ask for the deal that I previously mentioned the other day?... Dell is currently selling a $500 Insipiron 537s with 19" monitor. It's worth it? Good value?
Thank you

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

So what are the differences between the large and slim?

This is what it says about the 530s

Slim and stylish desktop design for everyday computing, taking up 41% less space than the Inspiron 530 without sacrificing any features

Probably doesn't provide many options for future upgrades like adding a second DVD Burner and may require more specialized PCI cards for gaming or sound enthusiasts that are harder to come by. I believe they are called "half-sized" pci cards. However, it will take up less space if space is an issue with the size of desk you use, or maybe you live in a small apartment. This type of style probably can be layed on its side, or stood up like it is pictured. Read on...

This is what is says about the 530

Value and reliable performance combined for everyday computing. Highly customizable and expansion slots allow for future performance upgrades.

Meaning that there is more room to umm say for example, add another DVD Burner, or the motherboard is probably an ATX and NOT MICRO ATX form factor which would have more PCI Slots on it for adding something like a sound card for those who are "audiophiles", or possibly a dedicated Graphics Card used for Gaming. Furthermore, it is just overall bigger and probably would be better suited for sitting on the floor, or if on a large desk it could fit, but it would take up more room.

This is all from personal experience, I have never seen any of these in person or had a chance to take a look inside to completely confirm everything I just said, I just know that is the case from other models I have dealt with.

what is the difference between Vista 32 bit and 64 bit?

The main difference is that 32bit Operating Systems can only recognize about 3.2GB of RAM whereas 64bit can recognize just about whatever the motherboard can handle. I think the actual GB of RAM recognizable by a 64bit OS is like 128GB or so from what I have read in the past. Which is insane... :) I would say if you are not going to be video editing a lot or you are not a "Gamer" then you have no need for a 64bit Operating System.

So should I call up Dell and ask for the deal that I previously mentioned the other day?... Dell is currently selling a $500 Insipiron 537s with 19" monitor. It's worth it? Good value?

I don't think you should do that. I noticed for the first time earlier tonight that system is an "Open-Source" computer which I believe is Dell's way of saying that it comes with no Operating System like Vista or XP because there are free OS's available, but since you aren't into all the different kinds out there and don't know how to use them/familiar with them, I wouldn't recommend going that route. Just stick with Vista (Microsoft Windows Operating Systems).

If you could provide an actual link to the one you are strongly considering buying, I can give you a break down or confirm what it has or if that meets the requirements that I have been talking about in this post. Like the processor, hard drive, RAM. Etc. What Operating System it has. On and on...

Let me know what you think. :)

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Thanks
What are your thoughts on the Dell Studio Desktop? Maybe I should get that?
http://www.dell.com/...u...p&~lt=popup
Also, I hear that I should not get the 64bit for Vista, because it is used for gamers and a lot of programs are not compatible for the 64bit....
thank you

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You can get the Core 2 Duo processor with that, it has the 800Mhz RAM I mentioned, and I'm sure it comes with a 7200 RPM hard drive. Sounds good to me. :)

Also, I hear that I should not get the 64bit for Vista, because it is used for gamers and a lot of programs are not compatible for the 64bit....

Correct, I had said the same thing in my last post...

I would say if you are not going to be video editing a lot or you are not a "Gamer" then you have no need for a 64bit Operating System.

And yes, some programs struggle with performing well on a 64bit structure.

Advertisements

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
i spoke with dell... they said it is better to get the vista 64 bit
because.. it allows the system to boost its speed and performance, not only that it can hold more than 4 gb of ram, 64 bit system is a future preparation for new softwares, since most new softwares today requires 64bit system.... thoughts?
so i am better off with a Dell Studio rather than the Inspiron?
I called Dell and they gave me two deals for the Studio desktop:
seem a little too expensive... the inspiron would be a little over $500... thoughts?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7400 (3MB L2, 2.8GHz, 1066FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
Microsoft® Works 9
1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
20 inch S2009WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs
640GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard and Laser Mouse
Integrated 16-in-1 Media Card Reader
No Modem Option
Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
No Speaker Option
McAfee Security Center with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Dell Remote Access, free basic service

system price $724 after $120 discount
shipping is free
tax $62.45
Grand total $786.45

or

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7400 (3MB L2, 2.8GHz, 1066FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
Microsoft® Works 9
1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Dell S1909WX 19 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard and Laser Mouse
Integrated 16-in-1 Media Card Reader
No Modem Option
Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
McAfee Security Center with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Dell Remote Access, free basic service

system price $639 after $110 discounts
shipping is $39
tax $58.48
Grand total $736.48

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
just checked the site, this is the new deal i got:
dell studio
quad core, 6gb ram, 500 gb, 19 inch monitor, etc

http://configure.us....ops_great_deals
$780 with tax
thoughts?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
i spoke with dell... they said it is better to get the vista 64 bit
because.. it allows the system to boost its speed and performance, not only that it can hold more than 4 gb of ram, 64 bit system is a future preparation for new softwares, since most new softwares today requires 64bit system.... thoughts?

dell studio
quad core, 6gb ram, 500 gb, 19 inch monitor, etc
http://configure.us....ops_great_deals
$780 with tax
thoughts?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
How is this deal? Better or worse than my original?
Thoughts?

Inspiron 537 MT Inspiron 537 Minitower w/ Black Bezel 37MBBH [224-5644]
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit VHP61E [310-8626][330-3625][420-6436][420-8873][420-9105][420-9130][421-0323]
Processors Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7400 (3MB L2, 2.8GHz, 1066FSB) 537ME74 [317-1144]
Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 2 DIMMs 4GB82 [317-1110]
Keyboard Dell Consumer Entry USB Keyboard and Mouse EKLOM [330-0916][330-3620]
Monitors 20" Dell S2009W HD Widescreen Monitor S2009W [320-7918]
Video Cards Integrated Intel® GMA x4500 Graphics IV [320-7924]
Hard Drives 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ 500S [341-8881]
Color Bezels Piano Black BLACK [313-7609]
Media Card Reader Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader 19MCRU [341-9401]
Mouse Mouse included with Keyboard purchase NONE [310-5678]
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet IN [430-0412]
Modem No Modem Option N [313-3137]
Adobe Software Adobe® Reader 9.0 AAREAD [410-1867]
Optical Drives 16X DVD+/-RW Drive 16DVDRW [313-7593][420-8152][421-0997]
Sound Card Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio IS [313-7598]
Speakers No Speaker Option N [313-2198]
Microsoft Works and Office Microsoft® Works 9 (Does not include Microsoft Word) DWRK9 [420-8085]
Security Software McAfee SecurityCenter 9 with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30 Day MC930D [410-1160]
Service 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis S111OS [960-3249][983-3680][988-7347][990-8029][994-0350][994-4177]
Service 1 Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year DOB2GB [420-9518][988-0099][988-7707]
DataSafe (Services Owned) Dell Remote Access, free basic service

About $590 with tax

Should I go for the Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB) for $60 more??
Keep in mind, I am not an expert computer user... no gaming or anything... just basic stuff... email, internet, pics, vids, docs, etc...
Thanks

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The last post is the one I think fits you best. The $590 one. You don't need a quad core processor, its overkill. The Core 2 Duo is really the same processor but with just two cores and not four. If you are not gaming, then you don't need the Quad.

64bit Vista is up to you. I completely disagree that newer programs are 64bit. It is actually the opposite, and I think Dell is just trying to sound good or make an extra buck, not sure. More than likely, you shouldn't experience problems if you go the 64bit route, but some 32bit programs (which is mostly what is out there) don't work so well on a 64bit Operating System. If I were you, I would go 32bit. I have said my peace on that quite a few times now. The fact whether 32 or 64bit is better than the other doesn't apply, because nothing you will be using your computer to do requires a 64bit Operating System, you don't NEED it. See?

Anyways, that last system looks pretty good and is a good price. I would shoot for that one, whether its 64 or 32.