Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsers unable to consistently connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply

careydaway

careydaway

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a desktop computer running Vista on a home network, hard wired to a Linksys router. Lately, neither IE nor Firefox have been able to consistenly load websites. My email and internet messengers work. I have tweaked the settings, redirected DNS to Open DNS, and repeatedly reset the router and modem. Each of these efforts results in connectivity for a short time but soon the problem returns. A laptop, also running Vista and connected wirelessly to the same network, rarely experiences these problems.

Thanks for your efforts.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey careydaway,

How often does this issue occur (approximately)? The next time you experience the issue, please do a connectivity test and post the results.

Step 1 - Connectivity test:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
I'd also like to see what's running on your machine, so please post a uninstall and startup list.

Step 2 - Generate a startup and uninstall list:
Please download HijackThis (if you do not already have it) and install it -- once it is installed, restart your computer. Once the computer starts up, launch HijackThis and then select the option Open the Misc Tools section -- select Generate StartupList log. Save the startup list in a safe location. Now select the option Open Uninstall Manager and then click Save list -- save it to a safe location. Please post the contents of the startup list and the uninstall list in your next response.

Thanks,
- Dan

careydaway

careydaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, Dan--

I'm hopeful that I have already found an answer to my problem. Last night I decided to check out the Linksys forums regarding my Linksys WRT160N V2 Router and found someone suggesting that the firmware needed to be downgraded in order to resolve DNS problems. So I gave it a shot and things have been humming along quite nicely today. However, if I do find that things begin to bog down again, I'll do as you advised here and post my findings in a new thread.

Linksys WRT160N V2 Router Firmware Downgrade

Thanks for your help.