Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE7 shows site as designed, IE8 and FireFox don't

• Please log in to reply

TheWern

TheWern

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Guys,
I am sure I am not the first to ask this but I can't find the answer(s) I need.

This site http://www.motorsportartgallery.co.uk was finished recently. All testing was one through IE7 on my laptop. I loaded IE8 onto another laptop I have and now it doesn't display the same result. IE7 still works OK but IE8 has display problems. I checked Firefox and this is even worse.

I am still a bit green with this and have not found a reason why there should be a difference or how I can correct this.

Any advice or where I can read up on this?
Thanks,

Advertisements

DigMdTx

DigMdTx

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Since Microsoft IE and Mozilla Firefox have yet to agree on a standard for displaying web pages, there will almost always be differences. With each new jump in versions of these browsers comes various changes in the way they display web pages.

For example, I know between Firefox 2 and 3, it handles css very differently causing page partitions and separations to be placed differently.

I suggest looking up both support pages for these browsers to identify what changes were made. Other than that, it is trial and error when testing for the newer versions of browsers.

Here's a start:

Internet Explorer

Firefox 3

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Internet Explorer 8 has a so-called Compatibility Mode for sites that don't work in IE8, but this should never be relied upon.

Firefox follows the web standards better than any version of Internet Explorer ever did. Therefore as a general guideline if it works in Firefox as intended then in IE8 you'll get the general gist but it will probably still break.

There is an ability in webpages to work out which version of Internet Explorer is being used and execute appropriate code to get round the fact that something doesn't work in IE8 yet does in IE7. This webpage might be of interest:
http://msdn.microsof...512(VS.85).aspx

So the idea is, write the site to work in Firefox. Then work out what breaks in IE7, and add conditional comments with the code required to get IE7 to render it as you want. Repeat for IE8.

This will be more work, but as Firefox is up and up browser share wise, you can't really miss it out.