Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Maximum memory vs motherboard memory?

• Please log in to reply

Japstar

Japstar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I want to upgrade my computer (hp pavilion 724a), and it currently has memory PC2100 with 2 X 256MB modules. Im uprgading to DDR400 (PC3200), but dont know what size.

The dilema Im facing is that I want to upgrade to the maximum but dont know what it is...

The motherboard is MS-6577 v2.x
Heres the website of the specs:
Computer specs
On the HP website, it says the maximum memory is 1GB(2 X 512MB)

But from crucial.com, it says my motherboard supports 2GB(2 X 1GB)

Which one do i follow as I am confused....has anyone exceeded the HP max memory successfully?

Regards

japster

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I was hoping the HP website listed a newer BIOS version that indicated greater than 1Gb of RAM support, but I don't see it. You might send HP tech support and ask them if the webpage is still current.

What do other memory scanners say?

Corsair - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
GeIL - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Kingston - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
Mushkin - Advisor
OCZ - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Patriot - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
PNY - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
SuperTalent - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)

The following retailers have auto-scanners and manual wizards. They sell brand name and/or "house" brand (re-branded) RAM.

Newegg - Memory Configurator System Tool
MemoryStock - Upgrade Configurator
18004Memory? – Configurator
4AllMemory - Memory advisor (automatic and manual)
[url="http://memoryselector.cnetchannel.com/tigerdirect/""]TigerDirect[/url] - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)

Japstar

Japstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I think ill just go with the 1gb(2X 512MB) just to be on the safe side, cos on some other forum i was reading that they put more than the maximum and windows wouldnot start....

Anyway thank for ur help.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

i was reading that they put more than the maximum and windows wouldnot start....

I can believe it, especially with computers from the big makers. That said, you would not harm the RAM (assuming all else is correct and proper handling/ESD control) by trying larger RAM. The trick is to find a vendor that would let you, then accept an exchange if it did not work. In any case, you should see a nice performance bump going from 512 to 1Gb - not only because Windows and the CPU have more room to play in, but that in turn means the page file (which may need changing with more RAM) on the slow hard drive will not be needed as much.