Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD/CD RW drive not working

• Please log in to reply

Vidyutraka

Vidyutraka

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

I have a Lenovo Y500 laptop running Vista. The DVD drive seems to work, hums and becomes quiet. Doesn't detect any media. Tried the registry fix from the Microsoft site, which is also recommended here a few times:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

and deleting the UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

The thing is, neither of those values are present. I have a folders called 0000, 0001 and 0002 under it, which also don't contain those values. There is a folder called properties, which I can't access. I get the message:

Properties cannot be opened.
An error is preventing this key from being opened.
Details: Access is denied.

I am running this as admin. Tried booting in safe mode to access that key, but same thing. There are other number keys where this one is, and many of them have folders in them called properties that can't be opened, like this one.

The drive works with the CDs that came with the laptop, and some others, and I can boot into Ubuntu from a Live CD, so the drive hasn't died, but mostly, it shows all disks as blank (with properties showing no empty space).

Tried uninstalling and re-detecting drive.

Drive shows in device manager as DVD-RAM UJ-85JS ATA Device. However, I know for sure from using this drive and its purchase that its a DVD RW, but that is not how the device manager sees it any more. Plus, it does start burning DVDs

Don't know if it is relevant to this, but this laptop also can't play .mpg videos (regardless of where they are - CD, pendrive, other drives or desktop).

Also don't know if relevant, but there seems to be an invisible additional drive somewhere, as I have C drive with my windows, D drive for storage, E for the DVD/CD RW and my pen drive when plugged in becomes G. The "chest" in avast antivirus shows detection of two files from the "F" drive, which is nowhere in evidence!

Did all the steps as asked and here are the results:
  • Cleaned files with TFC. Rebooted.
  • Made System Restore Point
  • Backed up Registry with ERUNT
  • Did an MBAM scan - results attached
  • Avast thorough scan clean.
  • Windows updates are applied automatically
  • Reboot done. Drive still not working.
  • Rooter.exe log attached
  • OTL logs attached

This seems to be a problem with many Vista users in my search for support, but I haven't really found any solution that works. Tried the Microsoft Automatic Trouble Shooting Service, that has a solution for this, but it didn't work.

Am at my wits end.

Attached Files

Edited by Vidyutraka, 25 June 2009 - 08:18 AM.

Advertisements

Vidyutraka

Vidyutraka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Experimented some more:
  • Right clicked and scanned the Drive with a CD in it with Malwarebytes'. Got "scan completed successfully. No malicious items were detected, click 'Main Menu'". However, it doesn't mention or count all the files existing on that CD - just looks at the drive as a single entity.
  • Right clicked drive and scanned with Avast - "Scan was completed with error. Error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"
  • Noticed an inconsistency in how the drive is seen: The registry calls it 'DVD/CD-ROM drives' in the default key, 'CDROM' in the class key; Windows Explorer calls the drive DVD RW, but properties of that drive say its type is CD Drive. The hardware tab calls it DVD/CD-ROM, but the recording tab calls it DVD RW.
  • Don't know if relevant, but the event viewer shows the expected errors and warnings, but the surprise happening there is recent errors from the BROADCOM W-LAN tray. No clue why. Haven't had anything remotely to do with a LAN or wireless and this machine in ages. It has a slot that needs to be opened to connect wireless, and its been closed since a couple of months at least. Is this relevant to what's happening? I don't know.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Try updating your chipset drivers (just a guess).

Vidyutraka

Vidyutraka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you usasma for your attention. Makes me feel less alone in this struggle.

How do I update the chipset drivers?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Go to the Lenovo support website, click on Downloads, and enter your model number to access the downloads.
In the US here's the link: http://www-307.ibm.c...s/homeLenovo.do

You may also want to go into Device Manager, right click on the device to uninstall it, then let Windows redetect it on a reboot.

Vidyutraka

Vidyutraka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Did that, no go. :)

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I'd start wondering if there was a physical problem with the drive. The only way that I know of to test this is to replace the drive with another - and they're awfully expensive!

Vidyutraka

Vidyutraka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The drive is working, I think. It plays audio CDs most of the time, opens the original DVDs that came with the laptop. Surely if it wasn't working, it wouldn't work for any DVD/CD? I don't know. I'm not too experienced about these things, but it seems like there is something that stops it from reading some CD/DVDs.

Also doesn't read blank CDs at all, but sees many CDs with content on them as blank and needing formatting.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Sorry, but I read your previous posts differently than I did your last post.
It seemed to me that you were having problems primarily with DVD's - and not CD's
So, it may not be the physical drive.

Another clue is the stuff that Avast has discovered in the F: drive. Could it be that a virus has damaged your OS? At work we frequently find issues with systems that are only solved after resetting the permissions on the registry. Our "theory" is that the registry permissions are changed to prevent the user from changing things that would compromise the malware.

Here's a couple of links on resetting the registry permissions:
http://usasma.vox.co...ted18oct08.html
http://usasma.vox.co...ed-16dec08.html
BE SURE TO CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT before attempting these modifications - you can really hose your system with them and the backup will be needed to restore things back to normal

Vidyutraka

Vidyutraka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks a ton. I'll try these out in a couple of hours when I get home and post back what happens.

As for the stuff that Avast found, it turned out to be a pen drive that was attached from an earlier date. I read it in the "chest" and not noticed the date. Not the main laptop. The Avast scan from this time around came clean.

My bad.

Edited by Vidyutraka, 25 June 2009 - 05:14 AM.

Advertisements

Vidyutraka

Vidyutraka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

New glitch. Backing up my registry with ERDNT now gives an error

Error saving file
C:\Windows\ERDNT\25-06-2009SECURITY !

Continue next file?

[RegCreateKeyEx:5 - Access Denied]"

Didn't have this problem earlier when I backed up, but now I feel uncertain if that backup happened correctly either, though it seemed to.

Took a risk and did the fixes from the first link, counting on the system restore point and reg backup from two days ago. Nothing crashed (that I can make out), but nothing seemed to change either, so I don't know if continuing with the risk of whatever is up makes sense till you've taken a look and shared what you think.

Not proceeding to those registry fixes in the second link till you take a look at this and tell me what you think, just in case it is another effect of the malware.

Edited by Vidyutraka, 25 June 2009 - 07:50 AM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
This is most likely because you're trying to create something in the root of your system drive (C:\).

Try saving it to your desktop, and if that doesn't work try saving it to the Public Desktop.

Also, make sure that you've created a System Restore point - that'll be easier than the registry backup (if it works).

Edited by usasma, 25 June 2009 - 11:29 AM.

Vidyutraka

Vidyutraka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

This is most likely because you're trying to create something in the root of your system drive (C:\).

Try saving it to your desktop, and if that doesn't work try saving it to the Public Desktop.

Also, make sure that you've created a System Restore point - that'll be easier than the registry backup (if it works).

Tried saving in various places - doesn't happen. Besides, the first backup happened in the C drive without any problems.

System Restore point has been made. Haven't ever used one before, but I assume, once its made, I can restore from the same place, like the options say.

Browsed to earlier registry backup, and when I click on the ERUNT file there, it seems ready to restore from that backup, though of course, I didn't actually restore. I assume that means that that backup at least happened correctly.

Edited by Vidyutraka, 25 June 2009 - 11:46 AM.

Vidyutraka

Vidyutraka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
If it helps, the kind of discs that work or don't - patterns I saw:
  • Lenovo Software and Drivers DVDs that came with the laptop - work
  • Nokia phone softwares DVD - didn't used to work, changed their mind. Now they work - this happened after uninstalling the ATAs from Device Manager and rebooting.
  • Movie DVDs - Don't work
  • Audio CDs. Some work, some don't.
  • Data CD and DVDs - that I made myself - don't work. Some of these I can add files to, some of these I can't - types of burning. Regardless, they don't work (I'd read somewhere that something to do with those creates problems). Not speaking of pirated or not original stuff - work backups, saved files, photos, etc. They show up as blanks with a prompt to either format or burn (never both together)
  • Blank CDs and DVDs are not read at all. Drive says to insert disk.
Does knowing this help?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
It seems to point to a software/Windows problem (rather than a physical problem with the drive) - but not much more.

In case it's a basic Windows issue, try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from an elevated Command Prompt.
To elevate the Command Prompt, go to Start and type in "cmd" (without the quotes)
At the top of the search box, right click on the CMD.EXE there and select "Run as administrator"
Then, in the black box that appears, type "sfc.exe /scannow" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Let it run (it takes a long while), then let us know if it completed successfully - or if it found errors that it couldn't fix.