Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't restart after reboot

• Please log in to reply

Indierocker

Indierocker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
While using my computer norton 360 popped up and said I had a packed.generic 2000 or 3000 I can't remember, and that I needed to reboot, so I did. Now when I try to turn it on it does the fIrst screen as normal but then shows as black screen with white text saying:

"We apologise for the inconvienience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

There is then some text about some possible causes none of which apply. It then gives me 5 choices

Safe mode 
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command promt
Last known good configuration
Start windows normally" 

When I start windows normally or use last good configuration it flashes up the windows logo with a progress bar below before flashing blue and restarting.

When I start in any of the safe modes it lists a lot of text that all starts with

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers

Then some letters and .sys e.g. Mup.sys

Please help me.

By the way I use xp

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Posting in multiple help sites is not always a good idea. You are going to end up being told to do the same thing over and over again.

As I said at the other site, this error is one of the worst and ussually entails a re-install.

Murray