Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scrambled and full desktop

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Is there a virus or some other thing out there, that would cause my desktop to be full right up with triplicated icons and shortcuts, even though I delete them. This happens everytime i reboot

Wayne

Advertisements

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
By the way, last time i rebooted i got dialogue box advising me that Windows couldn't find C but when i cliked OK desktop opened up alright, but full of icons in triplicate.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you explain this problem more clearly?
Attach a picture or two to help me see what is going on here.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Well let's start from square one.

Firstly I had been browsing on internet, and decided to close off Firefox and when me desktop opened up, it was literraly littered with icons for problems and shortcuts alike all in triplicate, in other words 3 Firefox, 3 Outlook, 3 Documents etc. Then all of a sudden i got an advisement that trying to open 38 progarms all at once might slow down the computer. Now if i cliked on My Programs, for instance a whole bunch of icons would be higlights as if i had selected them all. WSo I rebooted to see what what happen and the desktop opened up with the same amount of icons, all in triplicate.

I started deleting icons, the extra ones and managed to get Avira to open up and i did a full scan. net results....nothing no detection. Then I proceeded to to a Malwarebytes full scan...same result...no detections. I immediately rebooted and all the icons came back but this time with an advisement box that said something to the order of "Windows cannot find C:\Program'. I cliked ok on this box and the desktop opened up again in triplicate.

Then i went and did a restore point back to 21st June and when my pc came back on after restart all the triplicated icons were gone. It was just like normal.

This morning I powered up and it was normal again.

I dont know how i could show you what it looked like, but just imagine a desktop completely littered with icons in triplicate

I dont know if this helps.

waynf

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So after the System Restore, everything is completely normal?
If so, then it looks like you have solved your problem! :)

I can imagine that, but I have no idea as to how it happened. Malware is my only suspicion. If you want to make sure that you are clean, follow this guide: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Then post the required logs in the Malware Forum, and have a tech ensure that you are clean.