Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install prgrams on dual core processor

• Please log in to reply

vkf

vkf

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am a major newbie with computers so please excuse my ignorance.

I just recenlty purchased a computer to run my sims 3 game. It is running windows home vista premium. It is an Acer Aspire x1200, AMD athlon 64x dual core processor 5400+ 2.80 ghz RAM 4.0gb.

Ok well I have no idea how to figure out this dual core processor thing at all.
I have 137 gb on C drive and 140 on D drive. I was wanting to put my SIMS 2 and expansion packs on D drive. During the install process I selected the D drive and the only folder in there was a folder with my name on it. I chose just the D drive as the install location but it says it won't let me cause it could cause the computer to become instable. Huh?!

Do I have 140 GB's that are just goint to sit there unused forever and only be able to put pictures and stuff on it? No programs. Help.

Again sorry for being so basic

Thanks

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Your D: drive is probably a recovery partition and is locked from you installing anything to it. Try installing to C: and see what happens.

quick edit: The drive is probably just partitioned (virtually split) in half, making it 320GB total.

Edited by diabillic, 23 June 2009 - 03:59 PM.

vkf

vkf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can download pictures to the D drive. It does not state it is a recovery drive anywhere. How do I see this? My computer states I have 320 GB hard drive, when I purchased it. Can they lie like that? I don't understand at all.

vkf

vkf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

quick edit: The drive is probably just partitioned (virtually split) in half, making it 320GB total.

I am sorry i do not understand what that means. What do I need to do to use all the GB's. How do I tell it is virtually split, why would it be split, can I ever download programs to D drive. You really have to be more basic.

vkf

vkf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How do I un split the drive? Really am still needing help please.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You can check disk management by right clicking My Computer and clicking Disk Management.

If the drive is partitioned like that, it was done for a reason. It is intended to probably be a recovery partition and/or used for backups. If you want to make all the space available as one drive, you would have to delete the partition then redistribute the free space back to the C: drive using something like Partition Magic. Let me know what course of action you wish to take.