Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help reset into blackscreen

• Please log in to reply

shorty4tw

shorty4tw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So basically i build a computer about 5 months ago.. it worked really really well tillabout a month ago where i got this new problem.. my computer will randomly reset, and give me a weird noise + a black screen. From here the only way to get the computer to boot up again without a blackscreen, is to take out the ram and put it back in.. usually takes me about 3-4 trys to get this method to work.. then it'll boot u p mayb last a 1-2 days before it happens again some days its 5 hours of pulling the ram and putting it back in.. so yea its really annyoing because i know whats i think causing the problom.. the problem started after i reformated my computer and added 2 new 2gb crosir sticks.. and an new HD. i also changed from 32bit to 64 bit vista home basic...

other computer specs.. gtx 280 vc. have 8 gb of corsair dominator(all the same sticks), 64 bit vista home basic.

so if any way u can help me fix this problem id be more then willing to pay someone alittle since this problem is just to annyoing and i really dont wanna bring my computer to a shop.

if u need any more info please let me know..

also my method of pulling out the ram and putting it back in recently stoped working and i cant even get the computer to post/boot .. so please get back to me.. here or

Aim : Shorty4tw
email : [email protected]

thanks,
taylor

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Since pulling the ram has allowed you to get it going in the past, I will suspect initially a stick of bad ram or ram slot.
Have you tried putting the old ram back in to the computer?
Have you tried only 1 stick of new ram?
How many ram slots do you have?

From my signature, download Memtest86. Burn it to a CD. It will be an iso image so use the program Burncdcc from my signature also. It is a small nofrills burner strictly for iso files. Do not put the cd in till it asks for it.

Boot from the cd and let the program run to see if there are any errors. The longer it runs, the more through it will be. You may have to change the boot sequence in the bios to boot from cd.

123runner

shorty4tw

shorty4tw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
1 ram doesnt always work..
ive done the mem test it isnt the ram.. i use all 4 of my slots ..
might have found hte problem.. once my computer resets i just clean the 4 slots and put the ram back in and it works everytime.. i just dont know how to make this a perma fix because it isnt perma fixing it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
What are you using to clean the slots?
Since you are removing the ram to clean the slots, you are in essence "reseating" the ram. I suspect either the ram is not latching in or the slots are bad.

Can you take the ram to the default minimum ram and slots and see what happens. Ususally that is 2 slots. We need to isolate a ram slot problem.
It is really beginning to sound like a main board issue. I would contact the vendor to see if they have any reported issues. You may have to RMA it back.