Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

Bamavet

Bamavet

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK here is my problem...my ex wifes computers motherboard burned out...She gave me the hard drive to get our kids pictures off of. I am running windows vista, she had a windows xp on her hard drive. I hooked hers up to mine and in drive manager in admin tools...it recognizes her drive but there is no way for me to view it. I need to be able to get the contents of the drive so that I can save their pics. Anyone care to tell me how? I know how to make disc manager add a new volume...but that would format the drive wouldnt it?

Advertisements

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Did you slave/master the two disks?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Sometimes you need to change the jumpers on the drives to master and slave instead of cable select.
What is disk manager actually telling you?

Bamavet

Bamavet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok its on cable select...so I will try changing that. :-)

Bamavet

Bamavet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
On my hd...I only have jumpers for cable select, master or limit drive size. I have tried EVERYTHING to access the data on this drive thru vista but it will not allow me to. I dont understand why disk management shows the drive but will not let me do anything other than start a new simple volume...which I assume will format the drive...then I would lose what I need off it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
A stab in the dark with this one. While in disk management, right click and see if you can change the drive letter. When 2 drives have the same letter, they conflict.
What is the drive manufacturer?
What is the model number?
Is there a jumper map on the drive?

Bamavet

Bamavet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Disk management hasnt assigned it a letter and wont let me try to assign one. It is a seagate barracuda 7200. There is a jumper map with 3 options...Master, cable select or limit drive size.

I cant select master...Its on cable select now. And im assuming the other option wouldnt do me any good.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
See:

http://www.seagate.c...u5_family_1.gif

You might need to look for your specific drive, but it seems that slave is set by having no jumpers at all.

Which connector is it plugged into? The last one if the master and the middle one is the slave:

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

Bamavet

Bamavet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I gave up...it allowed me to set a a slave but I could not do anything with the hard drive without formatting.

Im guessing this is just one of the moronic things that vista does..If you have xp installed you must have to wipe it out for you to use it as a slave.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Did you wipe out the drive? If not, you might try downloading Knoppix (Live Linux CD), create the CD and then boot from that and see if you can access the data.