Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start

• Please log in to reply

Jaggeroth

Jaggeroth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a problem,My sister shut off my computer the other day and she said the screen shut off but the computer did not. Now whenever i start my computer just the computer comes on. Even the key board won't turn on nor the screen will but the computer is on and everything inside is running. I went and unplugged everything and put it back in and nothing will happen. Once when Ii turned it on last night it brought up a screen and ask wich cpu to use i belive. I hit f1 and everything started up normal and everything then a minute later is shut itself off. Also on the back there is the main switch to turn it on and off. Well after switching it back and forth a few times now its stuck on on. If anyone can help me I would greatly appriciate it.

Advertisements

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I can only suggest inserting your windows install disk, restart, select repair instead of install and use the recovery console to run chkdsk and possibly fixmbr or fixboot. See http//support.microsoft.com for more details on the recovery console and command switches. Read the details before using as some dos commands might destabilize your current system installation.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You should open up your case and when your computer is starting up, make sure that all the fans are running.

When you turn on your computer, does it restart after it reaches a certain part of startup (like the Windows boot screen) or does it hang (when does it hang if this is the case)?

Jaggeroth

Jaggeroth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I would try your ideas but the problem is that the screen does not even come up. Nothing, the keyboard lights pop on but turn off even when I hit the cap num or scroll buttons.

And yes i have opened it up, and all the fans are running.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So when you press the power button, nothing shows on the monitor (not even a BIOS splash screen)?
Open your computer up and make sure that all the cabling is tight, and try again.

If that is to no avail try clearing your CMOS.
Open your case and look for a battery on your motherboard. If you need pictures, then search for CMOS battery on Google. Take this battery out, and wait for around 45-50 minutes, and then put it back in. Try turning your computer on again now.

Grondsrevenge

Grondsrevenge

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
It's rare, but you BIOS may be corrupt. I assume you have already tested your monitor.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

It's rare, but you BIOS may be corrupt.

If this is the case I don't know how to reflash it. You might have to order another BIOS chip if this is the case.

I assume you have already tested your monitor.

Thank you for bringing that up, as it just went through my mind. Try another monitor.