Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Useage

• Please log in to reply

Barbie4739

Barbie4739

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Murray helped me decide to try to "bandaid"my sick Compaq - today it was really, really bad - pages won't open on the internet - "page can be displayed" - basically try to go somewhere and you may get there in 15 minutes - or you may not - I decided to check the processes on Task Manager - I had learned that these are items running "in the background" and could slow your computer down - My percentage when I got there was 100% - there was a process running "ccSycHst.exe" - it was 103,660 - then dropped to 97,000 - then up to 100,000 then to 77,000 -

but it never got down to where all the others were -

Can someone tell me what this process is and is there anything I can do to get it to run at a lower rate like the others - this just started happening recently and may be some of our computer issues - Money, ofcourse is a problem to consider -

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Barb

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

ccSycHst.exe is the process for Norton Internet security software...

Do you currently have this program installed?

How long until your license expires with them?

You could uninstall Norton and install a "free antivirus" from below

We here at Geeks to Go recommend

Avira AntiVir Personal

AVG 8.5 FREE

Avast! 4.8 Free

These are exellent choices that won't hog system resources as much...

There is more we can do to help you but I would like to take care of this first...

Good luck

Cbarnard

Barbie4739

Barbie4739

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Actually I just got an e-mail yeserday about renewing - I don't remember the date, but if they are reminding me then it soon - I think I'll start fresh tomorrow, delete Norton and use one of your suggestions - I just never knew which of the free ones were really o.k.-also - is a registry cleaner necessary for performance?

Thanks so much!!!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I think I'll start fresh tomorrow, delete Norton

Your computer will smile at you :)

No, don't touch registry cleaners.

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Export As, and save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
Attach the file to your next reply.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Registry cleaners are very dangerous...

I would highly recommend against using them ever...

They can render an Operating system completely unbootable...

There are no performance gains by the use of these programs...

One of the reasons these programs are so bad, is because they do things automatically. The programs make mistakes and remove good entries as well as bad entries... The only way to properly work on the registry is with an experts help and no other way... Even Experts don't use registry cleaners...

Click here for a Blog from one of the Experts here at this site about the dangers of Registry cleaners

Good luck

Cbarnard

Barbie4739

Barbie4739

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay - deleted Norton - now have to worry about downloading the suggested one - I have dial up (UUGGGGGRRRR) - tried once and it disconnected me so I decided to get you info you wanted - I have to say I enjoyed every minute I worked on it (except for our dial-up! :) ) - I love working with it when someone tells me what to do - afraid to do it on my own!!lol

System Info: Micro.WindowsXP - Version 2002 - Service Pack 3
Compaq, Presario, Intell ®, Celeron ® CPU 2.50 GHz, 2.49 GHz, 248 MB of Ram

Drive Info: File Sys - NTFS - used 10.7GB, Free 59.4GB - Capacity 70.2GB

And, I am attaching the files you asked that I run - I hope they come out okay - like I said, dial up doesn't work real well and we live in a very rural area - local cable (ComCast) does come here and satellite is just way too expensive for us -especially now.

Thanks for helping me - and like I said, I enjoyed it!! Kinda made me feel like I was in control of this thing - - not the other way around! lol

Have a great evening.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Since you uninstalled Norton, and until you download new AV program, make sure, Windows firewall is on:
Go Start>Control Panel. Double click on the Security Center icon. Click on the Windows Firewall icon beneath the status updates. Click On, then OK.

2. You have very little RAM - 248MB. With this amount of RAM, XP will be slow, no matter what you do. We can adjust your computer behavior only so much. You need to get more RAM.

3. Process Explorer shows normal CPU usage (System Idle Process at 94.03%).

4. Now, we can disable some unnecessary startups (no actual programs will be removed).

* I recommend, you unistall Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a resource hog, and install FoxIt Reader: http://www.filehippo...download_foxit/, which is much smaller, and faster. It does very same thing.

* Open Autoruns, click on Logon tab, and UN-check following items":
- AlcxMonitor (also delete alcxmntr.exe file from c:\windows)
- HP Software Update
- hpqSRMon
- IgfxTray
- nwiz
- StorageGuard
- SunJavaUpdateSched
- TkBellExe
- Compaq Connections.lnk
- HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk
- Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk
- MSMSGS
- NVIEW

5. Close Autoruns, restart computer.

6. Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

7. Defrag.