1. Since you uninstalled Norton, and until you download new AV program, make sure, Windows firewall is on:
Go Start>Control Panel. Double click on the Security Center
icon. Click on the Windows Firewall
icon beneath the status updates. Click On
, then OK.
2. You have very little RAM - 248MB. With this amount of RAM, XP will be
slow, no matter what you do. We can adjust your computer behavior only so much. You need to get more RAM.
3. Process Explorer shows normal CPU usage (System Idle Process at 94.03%).
4. Now, we can disable some unnecessary startups (no actual programs will be removed).
* I recommend, you unistall Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a resource hog, and install FoxIt Reader
, which is much smaller, and faster. It does very same thing.
* Open Autoruns
, click on Logon
tab, and UN-check following items":
- AlcxMonitor (also delete alcxmntr.exe
file from c:\windows)
- HP Software Update
- Compaq Connections.lnk
- HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk
- Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk
5. Close Autoruns, restart computer.
6. Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe
to run the program.
Click on Start
button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may
ask you to restart computer.