Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired/wireless connection drops

• Please log in to reply

mdcbk

mdcbk

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have 2 PCs with wired connections and 2 Dell laptops that connect wireless to a Netgear WGR614v3 router. This is connected to a Motorola modem (Comcast cable). We have had no problems connecting with all four computers, other than the usual garbage associated with using Comcast. We recently bought a Macbook, and since then have had frequent problems with disconnects. I've been trying to identify when this happens (teenagers are not always reliable sources) but it seems to occur when my son accesses the internet from the Macbook. He has access for 5-10 minutes, then loses his connection. At this point, all computers lose their connection. We are able to restore by power cycling the router. We usually do not have all five computers on at one time, and I don't think it happens when just the 2 Dells and 2 PCs are on.

The last time it happened, I tried pinging the router from the PC and it timed out. The Modem was just replaced by Comcast, they tested the incoming line, and said I had a good signal. Could this be the router? Could it be something with the Macbook? I can't test the router/modem by connecting one PC directly to the modem, since the PC never loses connection on its own. Any suggetions for further testing or for a new router model?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey mdcbk,

It sounds like the router may be having issues with the Macbook; sadly my expertise in the area of Mac is severely lacking. Since you couldn't ping the router, this indicates that it is the cause of your loss of connectivity. My only real suggestion would be to ensure that you have the latest firmware installed on your router.

It looks like the latest version is WGR614v2 and WGR614v3 Firmware Version 2.16. Try uploading and installing the firmware and see if the issue persists. It may simply be an incompatibility issue that may have been fixed; I'm not too sure.

I'm afraid that's the best advice I can offer at this point.

- Dan

mdcbk

mdcbk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks, I'd already updated the firmware, and it didn't help. I hate Apple. It's user unfriendly to anyone over the age of 25. I changed the settings on the Mac to 'DCHP with manual address' per suggestions on the netgear forum, and it seems to have helped some, but not comletely corrected the problem.

mdcbk

mdcbk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
After trying virtually everything I could find on the subject on the net, I finally gave up and purchased a new D-Link dual band router. Its working fine, all computers including the Mac are connecting, with no drop-outs. I think my old netgear just couldn't take it anymore.