Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Popup

• Please log in to reply

cleso

cleso

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Greetings!
This popup showed up about the same time my PC was infected with Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c.
Below is the popup.

This popup is caused by Global Spyware Scan Program (GSSP). Our soft has detected that your PC as well as million others all over the world is infected by parasite software. Here are some links which will help you to remove parasite software from your OS.

Kill Spyware
Instantly! Only $19.95

Download WinAntiVirus
2005 PRO - $8.95

Remove Spyware With
McAfee AntiSpyware

Each of the above links to http://www.searchem.net/

What do I need to do to get rid of this pest?

Thanks!

-- Dave

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

cleso

cleso

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Soxrok,
I am working through the list that you linked.
One challenge. When I click on the "Hijack This forum" link, I am taken to: http://www.usgs.gov/. I am sure this is not what you intended.
Any specific instructions for dealing with this challenge?

Also, as I was working my way through your Click Here!Click Here! I encountered some other challenges.

When attempting to run Trend Micro Housecall, the program cannot find the c:/programs/netscape/plugins folder, even though one does exist. I have deleted the .exe and the plugins folder and started fresh, only to receive the same challenge. :tazz:

After the listing for AVG, "NOTE: DO NOT install more than one antivirus program. ... less protection, not more." Just to help me clarigy, Ewido, Trend Micro Housecall, Panda, and AVG are ALL AV programs, right? So.... do I install one, use it, de-install it, install the next one, use it, de-install it..........? It has been my understanding that using more than one AV program is vital in being able to get to the majority of viruses. Just after Spybot S&D, "No single program removes every threat. A multi-prong approach is best." Does this not apply to AV software, also?
Please do not be offended at the question, I just want to learn and know what approach will work best.

Windows update: Here is a touchy one for me. I have read at several sites how installing SP2 can cause erractic behavior and even cause loss of data and functionality. Even so, I am willing to take the steps required to protect my PC from more of the junk that has infested my PC. However, as long as I am going to need to do a complete backup prior to installing SP2, wouldn't it be easier to just reformat the HD, reload WIN XP Home SP1, go to: http://www.windowsupdate.com, update to SP2, and then reload my programs and data? Because I did not know your site was available when my PC was attacked B4, I just did a complete data BU, (after cleaning), reformatted the HD, reinstalled the OS, reinstalled the applications and replaced the data.
Which process do you recommend?

Thank you very much for your time!

-- Dave