Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Deleting all messages in Inbox in OE

• Please log in to reply

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Throoper: Thanks much for the summary explanation of OE.

Several questions:

1. On my W98SE portable (the “bad” one) I see the Inbox.dbx is 59MB and the Deleted items.dbx is 691MB. Are these amounts excessive?

The Deleted Items is HUGE. The recommended limit for a DBX is 100MB. The bigger it gets, the more subject to corruption.
A question for you. Why haven't you deleted and regenerated the Inbox yet? If it's that you're nervous about deleting it, just change the name to Inbox.old and leave it in the Store folder.
Be sure OE is closed before making changes to the DBX files.

At this time I don’t find <any> pop3iudl.dbx file in this pc. But if I look into its Recycle Bin I see two entries there for pop3iudl.dbx (with two recent dates; these must be the files I deleted yesterday and a few days ago).

How do I now go about restoring a non-corrupted version of pop3iudl.dbx

It should have just regenerated in the Message Store folder when you opened OE. If it has not, restore the one with the smallest size and most current date. Either select it in the Recycle bin and click Restore or Select it and click Edit>Cut, then in the Message Store folder click Edit>Paste.

2. On my W98 desktop (one of the two “good” systems that seem to be working fine) I see that my pop3uidl.dbx is 5.7 MB, my Inbox.dbx is 526 MB, and my Deleted items.dbx is 330 MB. These sound excessive. Would permanently deleting the Deleted items.dbx and much of my Inbox.dbx make my pc run appreciably faster and be more responsive? FWIW, this pc has 12GB of harddrive, 4GB of which is free.

Yes they are big. Remember the 100MB limit.
Reducing the size won't do anything for general PC performance, but might make OE more responsive. At the moment I wouldn't mess with it, though. There is always the chance that a problem can arise when dealing with DBX files and you should concentrate on getting OE on the 98SE working right. You really don't want problems on 2 machines at the same time.

The comment about "much of my Inbox.dbx" makes me think you still don't understand about DBX files. They are an "All or Nothing" matter. If it's deleted, a new DBX file gets created and all messages that are in the corresponding folder in OE are gone. So if you have messages you want (say in the Inbox), you need to create a new folder in OE and move the messages from the Inbox into the new folder before deleting the Inbox.DBX in the Message Store folder.

Advertisements

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
"A question for you. Why haven't you deleted and regenerated the Inbox yet? If it's that you're nervous about deleting it, just change the name to Inbox.old and leave it in the Store folder.
Be sure OE is closed before making changes to the DBX files."

I will do so immediately. Just to be sure, these are the steps, right?:
1. I close down OE.
2. I FIND the file Inbox.dbx and highlight it. I Rclick it and select Delete.
3. I then open OE. ..... and should see a new Inbox.dbx file (that regenerates itself on startup.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I will do so immediately. Just to be sure, these are the steps, right?:
1. I close down OE.
2. I FIND the file Inbox.dbx and highlight it. I Rclick it and select Delete.
3. I then open OE. ..... and should see a new Inbox.dbx file (that regenerates itself on startup.

That's correct. You won't notice any difference in OE, the empty folder Inbox will still be an empty folder Inbox (remember, folders in OE are just the visual representation of the data stored in the DBX files located in the Message Store folder), but in the Message Store folder where you deleted the Inbox.dbx a new Inbox.dbx should appear with a size of 50 or so KB's. While you are in the folder deleting the Inbox.dbx, notice if the pop3uidl got regenerated.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I will do so.

Right now I am using the Start\Find facility to locate Inbox.dbx and other OE files. I gather, though, that there is a better way to access these files, via the <<Message Store>> folder. Please tell me (again?) how to get to the Message Store folder.

Continued thanks, not least for your patience.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Open Windows Explorer (press Win+E keys)

The Message Store should be in one of these locations, depending on if you have User profiles.

In Windows 98, browse to:
Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express
where Windows is the folder in which Windows 98 is installed.

In Windows 98 with user profiles enabled
Windows\Profiles\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express
where Username is the name you log into Windows with.

Once you have located it, you might want to create a shortcut to it and put it on the desktop.