Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a CD Rom

• Please log in to reply

Peni

Peni

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey,
My mama gave me her old CD Burner and I installed but it wouldn't work. So I put my old CD Rom back in and now when I hook it up my computer won't boot up. If I unhook the CDRom my computer boots. While booting up I have to push the A key to abort because it can't find my CD Rom. Anyone know whats wrong? Thank you in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you inserted the ribbon cable the right way round?
The red stripe on the cable should be next to the power socket on the CDROM drive

Peni

Peni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I have checked that and tried different cables too. Could my slot be bad on the motherboard?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Possible but unlikely unless you somehow damaged it.
Is the CDROM drive on a cable on its own?
Does the CD drive light come on at all & can you eject the tray after powering the system up?

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
you prob moved the little jumper on the of cd drive or its fallen out where it says master or slave and keep looking for it in bios boot up when it starts up because it has dissapeared where the the last one was saved in the bios

Peni

Peni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes the CD Rom drive is on its own cable. The light doesn't come on and the dorr doesn't open. I don't have anything listed in bios, all it says is primary master drive.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Check the power connections on the rear of the drive then. Make sure it is inserted the right way up & pushed all the way in.
If it looks like its in OK, then try a different molex connector from the PSU. Sometimes the actual metal contacts inside the plastic molex plug get loose & pushed out of place.

Peni

Peni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Whenever I have the power connected but not the cable the door will open. It is when I hook the cable itself up and reboot that it will not boot. I also tried hooking the cable up while my computer is booted. Then my computer freezes and I cant do nothing but turn it off and disconnect the cable from the CD Rom.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Never connect/disconnect any internal cabling while the system is booted up!

You said in the bios, the only drive listed is the primary master. Make sure the other 3 entries are all set to auto (if you have that option).

Take the CDROM drive out & check the position of the jumper on the back. It will either be set to M, S or CS. Let me know which it is.

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
take cd rom out f door is opening and closing with the ide cable out it can only be two things wrongone cable in backwards wrong way round or look very carfully at the pins on the back when take rom out of computer think you might find one of them is bent over where cable pushed in at wrong angle

Peni

Peni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:) Thank you soooo much Samm and Supergeek!! It is working. ;) I had the cable hooked wrong on the motherboard. ;) I have hooked and unhooked so many times, been without my CD Rom for about 6 months. Thank you for taking the time to help me. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome. I do recall asking you if it was inserted the right way round in my first post!