Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of some system sounds

• Please log in to reply

runmaster

runmaster

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Here's an interesting problem.
I'm running XP on a P4 processor.

I have lost my log on startup sound, my shutting down sound and my recycle bin sound when I empty it.
I have tried to change the sound scheme from custom to windows default and back again without success.
I have gone into the windows file and checked that all of the media folder is intact and not corrupted, it is fine.
When I'm in the sound scheme setup and I play the related sounds to windows default with that little play sound button found in the sound scheme setup, it plays fine.
Here's the kicker, all other button click sounds and messenger sounds and IE sounds are working perfectly, as is the ability to play any other sound or video file with media player.
I have tried selecting other .wav sound files using the browser button in sound scheme setup without success.
Heck, I've even gone through the volume settings just to make sure none of them are on mute.
Every other sound plays fine except these three and I swear, I haven't installed any weird new programs or tried anything funky on my system.
System is clean of viruses, adware, spam ... nothing that would explain this.
So, totally at a loss, I turn to the experts.
lol, thanks for your time people.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This one is interesting...
Try going Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow
This process will scan all your system files, and if it finds an error it will prompt you for a Windows CD. If you don't have a CD do the registry tweak described here: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html
Then reboot and run sfc again.

runmaster

runmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hmm, tried it and sadly it failed to restore the boot, recycle and log off sounds.
System restore also failed.
I know this is trivial but it's one of those little irritations that nibble at your psyche and ends up grating on your nerves.
As stated, it's weird that all other sounds play just fine aside from these 3.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So in the sound scheme setup, if you press the little play button with the 3 non-functioning sounds, they play fine?

Try another sound scheme...
This one is for Windows Vista... try replacing the sound files with these ones: http://www.mediafire.com/?fx0v5mo0hmn