Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cannot connect to wireless home network on linux?

• Please log in to reply

geordie_john

geordie_john

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
hello i tried many linux distros but the only one that recognized my home wireless network was mandriva and i was hoping to linux mint or pclinux,i get to the stage where it asks for ssid-mode-bssid-mac address-mtu and i am lost,i can see my i.p. address and i think the ssid is what i call my home network,but i am not sure about mac address and bssid?
i have posted on linux forums but what they tell me to do goes over my head as i am not as pc savvy as them.
any ideas please?
thank you.

Advertisements

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
First of all, your better off posting in the Linux Forums or Mandriva Forums. Have you tried Ubuntu? They have a great community with lots of how to's and help. You can try the GUI tools that come with your distro, but what tools you use depend on what desktop your running i.e. KDE, Gnome etc. You can try connecting from the command line using iwconfig see the link below

http://www.susegeek....ility-in-linux/

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
thank you i will try to setup using command line