Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smoke and burning for a sec !

• Please log in to reply

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I decided to connect a 2.5" drive to my PC using an adapter I bought.

However, for some reason, when connecting it briefly I saw a whiff of smoke and a burning smell so naturally I immediately unplugged it. However, ever since the PC will not respond.

The hard drive is OK since I've used it on an USB caddy fine.

Have I damaged the mainboard and/or the CPU ? or is there something easier to check out and possibly fix ?

I haven't connected the 2.5" drive to another PC yet as I'm too concerned it could damage it if there's a fault with it.

Regards,
Julia

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Do you know where the smoke came from? What exactly were you doing? What were you connecting at the time of the smoke? It sounds like the power was on. Were you attaching the disk internally?

It may just be the power supply, depending on what happened.

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The smoke as I recall came from the drive itself whilst I was connecting it directly to the IDE connector / power supply via an adapter.

The power supply still works, both on this PC and another I've tested it on.

Regards,
Julia

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
BTW, you should not connect an IDE drive to the computer with the power on.

What do you mean that the PC will not respond since this occurred? Have you power cycled the computer?

You might try using another IDE cable. It is possible that you could have fried the other disk on that IDE channel and/or the motherboard. Depending on what the computer is doing, you might be able to get an IDE board to connect the drive to, but that assumes that the basic function of the computer is working.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I decided to connect a 2.5" drive to my PC using an adapter I bought.
However, for some reason, when connecting it briefly I saw a whiff of smoke and a burning smell

This indicates to us that you had the computer on when you connected the drive. As previously stated, never connect anything electrical when power is on.

The power supply still works, both on this PC and another I've tested it on

This indicates that the power supply still works, but it can be in a weakened state.

The hard drive is OK since I've used it on an USB caddy fine

This only indicates that the drive still works. The OS can be blown apart and therefore not be bootable. It can also be in a weakened state.

I am suspecting a main board problem. What happens whe you turn on power? Does the power supply fan run. Do the fans in the cabinet turn? Any lights on the board? Any sounds from the hard drive?

Anytime time there is burning and smoke there is possibility that anything electrical becomes bad, weakened, or suspect.

123runner