Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer problem

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i have a canon Pixma IP 1500 printer, that has been stored away for quite awhile. i just recently decided to get it down for a different computer in my home. i thought the only thing wrong with it when i stored it away, was that it was out of ink, however when i plugged it up, installed the drivers disc, and tried to print one word (and then just a blank sheet) it would take awhile to "Prepare for Print" and then pull in the paper about an inch and a half, maybe two inches, and just stop, and say that the paper had finished printing. i noticed that all the papers i pulled back out, as i tried this several times all had a small bend towards the bottom right side. now,ink isn't too awfully much, but i really dont want to buy any if my printer is broke. truthfully, i don't really know anything about printers, but am willing to try anything. any suggestions or thoughts?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

however when i plugged it up, installed the drivers disc

Normally, with printers, you install driver first, and then, when the installation asks you to, you hook up the printer.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ok, thanks, ill uninstall it and do it over right. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let us know :)

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
well, i went back, uninstalled everything, and reinstalled, and plugging the printer in when asked. but sadly, it still doesn't work :) it is still doing the same thing. but thanks for trying. any other suggestions?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you try self-test?

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
what exactly is that?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Look at the printer's manual. There should be an option to push a button, or two for the printer to print a page of self-test. No connection to the computer is needed.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Okay, i couldn't find a self test, but i went to their support site and found how to go to maintenance and perform nozzle test, alignment tests, etc. so i tried the nozzle test, then the print alignment test. both times it did the same thing. it stopped about two inches in, however, this time it first reports a parer jam, however the paper is very easily pulled out, then when you try again it reports that there is no paper. So what do you think the problem could be?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I think, it's shopping time.
It looks like paper feed sensor may be messed up.

Advertisements

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
oh. :) well do you know of any that kinda meet that description? cheap, at least kinda simple, and medium to good quality? im a high school student that loves computers and just wants to have an office setup in my room. not alot of cash, but i dont need anything amazing. any ideas? like i said, printers aren't really my thing.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Oh boy. Too many choices to advice anything.
You can get number of decent printers under $50.
Personally, I'm Epson guy, but that's me.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
okay, thanks :) ill give them a look. any brands i should stay away from? oh, and can you tell me the difference in laser and inkjet, and which is better?

Edited by drmoneejd, 28 June 2009 - 03:32 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Not really. Stay away from no-brand products.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Laser will run you more then an inkjet will. Look at your weekly Best Buy/Staples/Radioshack etc ads for whatever cheap printer is on sale that week.