Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Install Failure?

• Please log in to reply

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I have downloaded and used Windows 7 RC1 [7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso]. It installed fine on VMWare on my main computer. I went to go install it on my laptop, however, and the installer fails. It goes through the "Windows is loading the setup files" portion, and then my laptop completely shuts off. No warning, no error, just turns off.

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P200D
Information about hardware specifications here

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Edited by wm_hunter, 25 June 2009 - 08:16 PM.

Advertisements

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
where did you download the .ISO from?

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

where did you download the .ISO from?

From the Microsoft site. Please, if you read my original post, I have it running fine in a VM. However, in VMWare, I had it use the .iso as the CD/DVD drive. Perhaps the burn has issues, I will try to burn again at 2x. If I don't edit this post with a success story, it did not work and I still require assistance

EDIT:A nice slow burn at 2x with ImgBurn did the trick. Thanks for anyone who read this / tried to help.

Edited by wm_hunter, 25 June 2009 - 11:03 PM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Most likely this is an issue with the compatibility of your system.
Try running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor tool: http://www.microsoft...de-advisor.aspx