Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ComboFix question

• Please log in to reply

Stephanie78

Stephanie78

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I got that dreaded Google Redirect virus and was able to remove it using ComboFix and malwarebytes. Now there's a folder in my C: directory called Qoobox which contains the quarantined files which caused me all the heck I had. My system is back to normal, and I've installed some antispyware, no scripts, and such to help me better guard against future attacks. Problem is though, I'm not sure if it's safe to simply delete this Qoobox folder or not? If I delete it, it moves to the recycle bin, which CCleaner ends up removing in it's own way at each system boot up. I also saw somewhere that I should uninstall ComboFix. Thing is, I had to rename it to something jibberish to get it to run even in safemode. So I don't know if I need to uninstall it using the jibberish name /u in the Run command or what.

All help is appreciated on this. :) Thanks!!

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Go ahead and do this

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image

• Download OTC to your desktop and run it
  • Click Yes to beginning the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. Choose Yes.

Stephanie78

Stephanie78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you! I've now fully resolved my issue. And thanks to Geeks to Go for providing that helpful thread on how to remove the Google Redirect Virus and giving advice on what programs to use to further protect myself in the future. I now have a safer system. :)