Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New system, HD not recognized

• Please log in to reply

juice8j

juice8j

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm building my first computer. I have a SATA connected hard drive and I'm having problems installing vista ultimate, as it will not recognize my hard drive.

(Screenshot attachment 1)

If I go to "Load Drivers" from this screen and go to browse, C:\ is an option. However if I select it, it says it is not formatted and gives me the option to format it. If I click format, I get an error message.

(Screenshot attachment 2)

Is this just a problem in the BIOS, or do I need a driver, or what?

Thank you for any help.

__________________________________________________ ___________________
- GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
- AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
- CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power
- OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
- GIGABYTE GV-R487D5-1GD Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
- PLEXTOR 20X DVD Super Multi Qflix Drive Black SATA Model PX-806SA SW
- NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Attached Thumbnails

• 0625091713.jpg
  • 0625091739.jpg

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two possible options here:

The driver it wants will probably be on the driver disk that came with the board. You can feed it this and then pop the Vista disk back in when it asks for it after the files are copied. The nice thing about Vista is you don't need to feed it a driver off a floppy any more, it can be anywhere.

Alternatively go into the BIOS and convert any options for RAID or AHCI to Legacy or IDE. Then Vista will see it and you don't need a driver.

juice8j

juice8j

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Turns out the brand new HDD was bad. It would show up in the BIOS but not to vista. wierd. So I plugged in a WD 1TB HDD and it worked great. Sending Seagate HDD back. Thanks.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Glad to see you got it figured out. Thanks for letting us know.