Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS address

• Please log in to reply

DF Simmons

DF Simmons

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is this the ip address of the modem? If not, how do I find the DNS address for a residential broadband service?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't.
DNS servers are typically assigned by a provider and trace back to that provider. Users don't have DNS servers as such.
The IP address can be used to trace back to a private address through the provider but this will require a court order and a strong case for wanting it. "For fun" doesn't count.

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
To find your connection information, make sure you are connected to the internet and then do the following:
  • Start->Run and type cmd to bring up a command window
  • In the command window type ipconfig /all to see your connection information, it includes the dns addresses

DF Simmons

DF Simmons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

To find your connection information, make sure you are connected to the internet and then do the following:

• Start->Run and type cmd to bring up a command window
  • In the command window type ipconfig /all to see your connection information, it includes the dns addresses

Thanks. I am setting up an A/V receiver with static ip on a local area network. The setup menu asks for, among other things, a DNS "number" or address. So the DNS servers and the default gateway address are always the same? This is what appears to be the case when I run that command here at home. default gateway, DHCP and DNS are all the same values...

Edited by DF Simmons, 29 June 2009 - 06:34 PM.

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
For a home system, I would say that the DHCP and gateway are typically the same (the address of the router), but DNS addresses are different (usually from the ISP). If you were successfully connected to the network, and the ipconfig command gave you those addresses, then that's what it's configured to use so I suppose they could all be the same.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're setting up an A/V system INTERNALLY on your LAN with a static IP address and it will only be accessed ON YOUR LAN you don't actually need the default gateway or the DNS settings in there...just a static IP address since you'll be accessing it that way (probably)...