Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP Explorer Right Click Error Message

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:) I am updating an old Compaq Presario 2700 laptop. I believe that the poor thing is around 10 years old and has a pentium III processor. I have added Norton 360 and did all the scans as well. I have also updated Internet Explorer, which is when bad things seemed to start occurring. Where to begin...

I can not longer right click any picture or document file without an error message saying that it needs to shut down. It only shuts down the file list and not the computer. I can copy/move/delete, if I use the left side task bar. I just can't use the file tab at the top or right click on anything. Right click works fine in Word and when typing emails. Of course, I can't zip anything either. My zip is now zapped...

The next "issue" is that I do show Service Pack 3 as installed, but I cannot install the SP3 update. All of the other updates install with no problem.

I am becoming more and more disappointed with Microsoft and the constant issues. Then, when you try to find a solution on their website, you might as well find a needle in a haystack. It is total chaos and confusion!!! My desktop is an HP, but my next laptop purchase will be an Apple... Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Adding a hog like Norton to the old computer, probably wasn't the best idea.
I'd say, 10 years old computer deserves fresh Windows install.