Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 8 Update - Do I let it go ahead?

• Please log in to reply

Stephanie78

Stephanie78

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A couple of weeks ago, I saw an influx of emails coming to me through my chat groups about various folks having major computer problems after they allowed their systems to grab the latest windows updates for upgrading/updating Internet Explorer 8. Now, I do not use IE at all. In fact, to the best of my abilities, I've disabled it so that I don't even have the slightest chance of it popping up unwarranted and being used. I'm very "on the fence" about having it on my system even since it's such a target of attack (not that the other browsers are immune, but you know what I mean).

Now I have my windows updates turned off so that only I can update manually, because I see that there are times that Windows will put out an update and from time to time, it will tear up someone's system, inadvertently. I have these updates queued in my windows updater deal and I'd like to go ahead and update, but I am really worried that if I allow that IE 8 update go through, then it will place me in the same boat as my friends. I also worry about other updates that come through, and might potentially mess my system up.

My system specs are on my profile, if that is needed, but right now my question is - is it SAFE to update now? The updates that are queued to be downloaded and installed, are the bad/buggy updates fixed or are they the same bad ones that my friends received and is waiting to pounce me? LOL

Advice is appreciated, and I am well aware that following the advice given to me is to be followed entirely at my own risk. I will not hold anyone at Geeks to Go responsible for that free advice. I had to throw that in, just in case anyone felt the need to mention it to me. :)

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Yes, there have been some bugs in IE8. I should actually same a lot as opposed to some :)

I would go ahead and update the rest of your security updates, since those you will need. Just make sure to create a System Restore point before updating and if anything blows up, simply roll it back.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Greetings Stephanie,

The most common reason for computer problems these days has to do with misconfiguration or a poorly maintained system. Microsoft digitally signs all updates. The signiture allows Microsoft to validate any updates after they have been downloaded. Of course, any file sitting on the hard drive of an infected machine is vulnerable. The best defence is to have a good real-time antivirus scanner analyzing every bit of data. Additionally, it's always best practices to have multiple layers of security.

I would say if your very careful about what you do and which sites you visit then updating shouldn't be an issue.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Greetings Stephanie,

The most common reason for computer problems these days has to do with misconfiguration or a poorly maintained system. Microsoft digitally signs all updates. The signiture allows Microsoft to validate any updates after they have been downloaded. Of course, any file sitting on the hard drive of an infected machine is vulnerable. The best defence is to have a good real-time antivirus scanner analyzing every bit of data. Additionally, it's always best practices to have multiple layers of security.

I would say if your very careful about what you do and which sites you visit then updating shouldn't be an issue.

Just because Microsoft says it works does not mean it wont break something.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
i know, but i knew someone had already covered that in the post before mine.

Edited by Ectech, 26 June 2009 - 04:19 PM.

Stephanie78

Stephanie78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you both for the suggestions and comments. I've done a create point for system restore, and turned on my updates once again. I set it to download, but not install unless I say yes. That way if I find something to be really wacky, I can opt to avoid it until they have a better patch that comes out. :)