Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojans Galore! I got some, but can't get them all... [Solved

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

grandma2b

grandma2b

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am new - but hopeful you guys can help! :) I posted at another "computer help" site yesterday and as of yet no one has replied. I truly could use some help :) :) !

Two days ago the computer suddenly presented me with a DOS stop screen and I had to manually turn it off. It all went downhill from there..... The first major symptom was that my browser had been HIJACKED. I figured out how to go around that somewhat and downloaded MALWAREBYTES and it found 28 bad guys, but there are obviously still some clogging up the system. Some files it found wre zlob.h and ertfor???

We use McAfee Security Suite, and scan the computer daily (full scan). The security suite is always turned on, including the firewall.

The computer is still running, albeit really slow. Each application started brings up an error screen, for example:

xxxxx.exe - Bad Image (in title bar of error box)
The application or DLL globalroot\systemroot\system32\skynetiwxkhml.dll is not a valid windows image.
After you click on OK, the application opens (slowly).

When the computer reboots normal mode, I get 20 or more error messages - one for each exe file that runs, I believe (i.e., easyshare.exe, adobeupdatemanager.exe, uinstaller, exe, res.exe, etc.) After you say ok to all of the error boxes, it comes up and runs like a snail.

Today, McAfee's scan was stuck on a file NTOSKRNL-HOOK. I restarted the scan and it caught it the next time, and "removed" it. It also found ten other files and quarantined them. It claimed to have "repaired" a file named c:\windows\system32\drivers\skynet\ixopirix.sys - detection name "DNS Changer". I saw it in the quarantine files after the scan, so I deleted it myself.

I downloaded AdAware and it found 9 dangerous cookies, so they were deleted.

I downloaded a free registry repair program and scanned, but didn't make any changes - I don't know enough about registry changers or changes to feel comfortable with that move.

I do not have my windows xp cd. Bought the computer from Dell with it loaded, and I never saw a windows disk?? I have a restore point from a month ago (I belive), but have not attempted that either. That is my last choice.

PLEASE make suggestions and I will try them out! :)
Grandma2b

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
can you try the guide here

http://www.geekstogo...40#entry1567240

grandma2b

grandma2b

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'd like to share my own skynet rootkit experience with you - and how it was resolved! :whistle:

Before I begin, I must say that I was being "protected" by McAfee Security Suite, as offered through our comcast service. Obviously, it did not stop or find these problems, so I have deleted McAfee altogether now. There is no free lunch I am afraid.

Anyway, I spent the last 6 days trying to fix my own skynet rootkit problem. It began with a hijacking, and devolved into a series of other errors, all stemming from this skynet thing. But, the bottom line is:

AVG Internet Security ROCKS! I downloaded the 30-day trial of their full program. I ran a scan and a rootkit scan and it found a lot of trojans (deleted them all) and it found the skynet rootkits. It did not delete them, but I went to their 24/7 support, emailed them, and they replied within 10 minutes. Within a few hours of my email request, they were offering support (at no charge) whereby their people remotely worked on my computer, and in a little over an hour, they had the problem fixed!!!!

I WILL be buying the AVG protection! It is worth the investment.

Don't mess around if you have SKYNET Rootkit problems. Get AVG and get on with your life! :)

Good luck,
Grandma2b

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.