Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual PC

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

Just got a new HP laptop. 64 bit 4GB ram AMD 2.2ghz dual core processor. Vista home premium. Looking into installing Virtual PC so I can run Linux. From what I can see, looks like it will only support Windows program. Is there anything else out there that I can do that? Thinking about trying to dual boot. Have done it with XP, heard there are problems do it with Vista.

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Look into Virtual Box. My laptop has the same specs as yours. I use it without any issues. Runs better (less of a resource hog) than VMware server.

http://www.virtualbo.../wiki/Downloads

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Its also free :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
good point. should have mentioned it.

The only one I would ever pay for is vm workstation, but most people here don't need the feature set it has.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi
I have installed Virtual Box and I am having trouble installing Suse 11.0 x64. I have created a 25GB virtual drive with 512 of ram. I have mounted my cdrom drive. I get to the boot screen and then it goes to a black screen and it says; Booting from local disk... and stops. Reading in the manual, 2.3, it says something about installing DKMS and typing in some commands. I can not figure out were to type commands.

Thanks, Doug

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
take a look at this guide:; http://www.susegeek....re-in-opensuse/

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

Finally got it installed. Figured out about capturing mouse so I could use it. One question I have is the screen is only using a portion of the monitor. 4" on each side and 1.5" top and bottom. Is that normal when running Virtual Box? I can connect to the web wirelessly. I have it set up with 512 of ram and 25gb of hard drive space. Seems to be a little slow. First time using Virtual setup. Happy to get it up and running. I have 4gb of ram on host computer, can I change virtual ram without starting over?

Thanks for the help, Doug