Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq presarieo sr1536nx stops in mid boot

• Please log in to reply

kenbarber

kenbarber

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Compaq presarieo sr1536nx running windows xp home sp2. was running fine one minue. it froze up as it has occasionally done since putting in 2 one gig memories abou 6 mons ago. ried to reboot i and i ges as far into reboot as a tri-shade blue screen wih windows xp home rademark icon and will boot no furher.

tried i in safe mode. ges to same place in boot and sops.

tried o ell i o boot with "last good configuration" ges o same spo and stops.

i have puppy linux on a cd which it will use to boot up. bu i do not know much about how to use linux including he puppy. the fact hat it will boot on puppy linux tells me that something in windows go coruped.

i do have my original windows xp home cd. also the machine seemed willing to run the xp recovery parician, but i stoped short of letting it do so as i am unsure what that would desruct of my files.

Advertisements

Mr. cake

Mr. cake

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
try pressing f8 then go to disable automatic restart on system failure.

Edited by Mr. cake, 26 June 2009 - 08:25 PM.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
no difference. still gets to tri-colored screen. top strip dark blue, middle section light blue with windows xp logo only. bottom section dark blue bu not as dark as top.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

it froze up as it has occasionally done since putting in 2 one gig memories abou 6 mons ago

I would start here with trouble shooting.
1. Remove the 2- 1 gig sticks and go back to what you initially had. or
2. Remove 1 of the ram sticks and try again, and
3. Then swap to the other stick and test.

Also you can use Memtest86 (in my signature). Burn the iso file to a CD (use Burncdcc fro sig). Boot to the CD and allow the test to run at least a minimum 2 hours. The longer it runs the better.
Report the results.

123runner

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i am pretty well disabled in my hands so i'll have to wait to get some help opening the box.

this old computer has no cd drive working to burn a cd. i tried to put memtest86 iso on a 8 gig flash, but when i tried to boot off the flash it gave me a disk error. the flash is in fat32 i think. i formated it on windows xp.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You can only boot off a flash drive if the computer has the option in the bios to boot from flash.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
it did boot off puppy linux on the flash until i took it off. but it would not boot the memtest86 iso. maybe i can visit my sister in the next town and burn it to a cd there. i'll be back with you when i can do that.

in the meantime, i have taken out the memory sticks one at a time. that did nothing different.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Make sure use burn the iso file to the CD. Use Burncdcc which is strictly for iso files. Do not just copy the file.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
it ran and said "pass complete press esc to exit no errors"

i run it again and got same results

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
memtest86 said i found no errors. do you want me to do anyhing else?

i am going to have to be out of town july 2-13 checking on my father-in-law with cancer treatment.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
okay i am home from being gone helping my father-in-law with cancer.

again. memtest86 found "no errors"

what next?

thanks for your patience.

Edited by kenbarber, 17 July 2009 - 04:53 PM.