Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Delay in connecting to internet

• Please log in to reply

redleader74

redleader74

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
This is a somewhat odd problem and I'm not sure where else to post it. Here's the problem I'm having. Whenever my computer comes out of hibernation in my home, it takes a very long time to connect to the internet while in the wifi network in my house. All in all, it usually takes about 5 or so minutes before I'm fully connected. Here are is some info about my system;

Dell XPS M1330 laptop
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Explorer 7 & Mozilla Firefox 3.0.10 (problem exists regardless of browser used)
Linksys Router
Comcast Broadband Internet service

Here are some further notes about my problem:
-problem doesn't affect Microsoft Outlook. When I bring my computer out of hibernation, I start receiving/sending emails right away
-my network icon in the task bar shows that I'm connected as soon as I come out of hibernation but it takes up to 5 minutes before I can actually get on the net
-problem does not happen at other wifi networks, like in cafes and other public wifi places. It only happens at home

So basically, when I open the lid of my laptop to bring it out of hibernation, I can get connected to my home wifi network within seconds, and Outlook will start receiving/sending emails, etc. But my web browsers will take up to 5 minutes to actually get onto the internet. My default website is Yahoo, but I've tried others as well and the result is the same.

any help is appreciated.

Advertisements