Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to COMPLETELY rename my laptop

• Please log in to reply

adrian3001

adrian3001

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi all I have a new laptop which I got from my dad, its his new work laptop but he doesent need it so I have it now!!

I have changed the name in the laptop by going through the regedit route but the folder locations are still in thelod name and also i have installed some new games and these save as the old name. does anyone know how i can change this so absolutely everything is in my name?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Create a new user account and delete the old one.
Either that or wipe the laptop.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Neil is correct. There are two items that hold a "name". One is the user name. Hence the suggestion to create a new user account. The other is PC Name. Right click on "Computer" and select properties. In the new window, look at the bottom info. It shows computer name, domain, and workgroup info. Is this computer a member of a domain? If yes, then stop right there. It means your laptop was configured for your dad and ment to be a part of the corporate network.

If the answer is no, then we can proceed. Next to the computer name/domain/workgroup info is a link to "change settings". click there. IN the new window, click the "change" button to rename computer.